Volvo Penta Outdrive Lube type

nrladeere

Seaman
My Volvo outdrive calls for a Volvo synthetic lubricant. Does anyone know or recommend a weight for another off the shelf brand. I will probably use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil if the wieght is OK.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Volvo Penta Outdrive Lube type

You can buy motor oil off the shelf but the wrong oil will burn up your outdrive. I need to know what outdrive you have. Is it single prop, dual or SX and the year. With this information I can tell you what oil you need to buy. You can call me at 1-800-949-2189 and I can discuss this with you or just put the information out on the bulletin board.

sloopy

Commander

tell it to the BB so that we can all learn!

Capt Ken

Commander

I believe the book calls for a GL 5 lube unless you have one of the early ones that uses "as the books says" the same oil that is used in the engine. So you can use a good quality GL5 lube unless you talk to a Volvo dealer who will tell you that anything other than their $8.00 a quart lube will fry your outdrive.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I'm using Castrol Syntec 30 in my 280 outdrive. Runs quiet, no vibration except worn "U"joints when I turn the outdrive real sharp. After 20 hours the oil is just about as clean as it was when I put it in last.

nrladeere

Seaman

Thanks for the input. I am going to put GL-5 fully synthetic in. For 20 bucks its worth the extra protection to me.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My workshop manual states the following:<br />Oil quality-GL5*;oil quantity (approx) 2.6 liters (2.75 US qts). *Synthetic oil grade 75W90 corresponding to API GL5 requirements is recommended for commercial use. You can call Volvo to order Part No. 7797525, Workshop Manual. It is not expensive and worth a world of knowledge about your sterndrive.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If Volvo won't sell you this book give me a call and I can get one for you. There is no substitute for these service manuals.

nrladeere

Seaman

Thanks for the help. My manual arrived a little to late. My SX workshop manual is 7797367-5. Money well spent I agree!