Volvo-Penta 2.1 4 cyl Grey white smoke

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice
At acceleration only. Usually at about 21mph after around 5-10 sec at that speed I start to get some grey and white smoke.<br /><br />any ideas of what it might be? Is that normal?

morsning

Recruit
Re: Volvo-Penta 2.1 4 cyl Grey white smoke

Sounds like water intake maybe. Could be the cylinder head or the gasket. The heads are prone to corrosion especially if salt water cooled.

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

compression is 165-170 in all cylinders.<br />it has antifreeze, but also a saltwater intake. I am not sure how it works.<br /><br />could it be the cylinder head or gasket when the compression is that good?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

To find out for sure do a leak down test.. Tells so much more than a compression test... You need a compressed air source and special leak down pressure gauge and regulator setup.. Basicly the test fills the cylinder at bottom dead center with both valves closed with compressed air.. The difference between the compressed air source and the amount the pressure in the cylinder is the amount of leak down... Makes it easy to find leaking valves,(you can hear the air escape through the exhaust or intake), head gaskets(bubbles in the coolant at the heat exchanger), and worn piston rings(hear air escaping into crankcase)ect... :)

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also coolant system pressure test. Are you losing antifreeze?

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

I am not loosing coolant or oil. <br /><br />Also, the plugs are completely dry.<br /><br />What does it mean if there is a little smoke?<br /><br />Is that normal?

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

Help!<br />Besides the smoke that comes and goes I loose power. I slow it down and it stops.<br /><br />I just got back from taking it in the ocean. <br /><br />Also there is too much oil in the engine right now according to the dipstick. After I accelerate I will open up the engine cover and there is oil on the air cleaner the exhaust manifold, sparkplug wires and coil. It looks like it was sprayed on. I<br /><br />cant figure out where it is coming from. There is very little oil, about the size of a silver dollar, and no water, in the bilge.<br /><br />What do you think is causing it?

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

Could it be I am burning too much fuel?<br /><br />My air/fuel mixture is open too much.<br /><br />It does seem to happen when its WOT and stop when I back off the throttle.

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

Could loss of power at 3000 rpms and some white smoke be unburned fuel?<br /><br />my fuel to air mixture was out 4 full turns.<br /><br />4 cyl. volvo penta 270<br /><br />thanks

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

White/blue/grey smoke would be Oil burning.. Black smoke would be rich unburned fuel mixture..<br />Did you add too much oil to begin with?? As for the oil leak I would look towards the valve cover gasket or perhaps a poor seal on the filler cap..

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

yes, I added too much oil do you think if I take some out and put in that oil sealant stuff that might help<br /><br />What do you think the loss of power is?<br /><br />when I accelerate I get a different sound out of my outdrive more hollow.<br /><br />The smoke comes and goes. It looks more white to grey not blue. the smoke only comes during WOT.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Ok. over filling the oil is possibly contributing to the smoke.. When the crankshaft is turning it is probably splashing some oil around and it's getting up on the cylinder walls and getting past the piston rings so drain off the excess...As for loss of power I would begin with the ignition system.. New points and condenser would be a good place to start.. Make sure to set the gap properly(VERY IMPORTANT)..While you are changing the points have a look at the ignition advance weights and springs..They are under the plate on the distributor where the points assembly is located.. If they are rusty or worn replace them.. New distributor cap and rotor can't hurt either...Set the base timing to spec. and make sure it is advancing properly to it's specified maximum rate...This is a good starting point to determine the cause of your power loss.. Once you have ruled out the ignition system the move towards the fuel system...AS for the oil additive some guys swear by it but as for me I would not waste my money...My 2 cents worth... :)

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Remove the excess oil....... That's a no no. If you have a PCV valve clean it. :cool:

zakaih7

Seaman Apprentice

Overfilling the crank case with oil can cause a serious loss of power at wot. The pistons willl have too much crankcase back pressure and it will force oil past the rings as earlier stated.<br />Get the oil level correct before u spend a dime. It may solve all your symptoms as once. If not then you still have the other options to try. I always thought white smoke indicated water or antifreeze burning through the engine but i could be wrong there.<br />Good luck.<br /><br />Michael<br />zakiah7

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. <br /><br />I drained the excess oil. <br />I also apparently had a paper gasket, then a medal plate and no paper gasket up against the carburetor. Therefore air was uneven.<br />I took out the medal gasket and went to just the paper gasket and it started running really smooth.<br /><br />I took her out and no more smoke. I was doing about 25. Not bad for a 4 cyl. cuddy cabin. I never went past 3000 rpms<br /><br />There were times when she would cavatate(spelling???). I then would lay of the throttle then bring her back up and it goes away.<br /><br />I think I might need to go down a pitch. Also from time to time when I go into reverse the outdrive will pop up. I go back to neutral and back to reverse and its fine.<br /><br />Any thoughts? Thank you

zakaih7

Seaman Apprentice

What prop are u running now....size and pitch?<br />Is it an aluminum or stainless prop?<br />I have an 85 bayliner with a 125b/270 and can compare my performance with yours if u like.<br />Is the prop dinged up bent or broken....even very small dings...as these props are subject to cavatation with the smallest fo dings if they are aluminum. an out of balance prop on mine also cause probs.<br /><br />Michael<br />zakaih7

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Zakiah,<br /><br />I don't know what my prop size is yet I will find out. It is aluminum. It is not in the best of shape.<br /><br />How fast are you able to go with your 125b/270?<br /><br />And is it with swells or flat water?

zakaih7

Seaman Apprentice

The prop is usually stamped on the edge the jam nut goes on or the opposire side.<br />I can go 39-40 with a normal load in the boat minus all people...just me i the boat.<br />With my son and I we can go 35 to 37. the 2 of us weigh about 400 pounds total + equipment...wake board skis jackets and lots of misc. stuff.One tool box weighs aobut 40 punds by itself.<br />With a capacity load of peeps we can still do 30 esily and even 32 or 33....this is all on relatively flat water too.<br /><br />We go to a lake and even with it rough it will really haul butt. I think my prop is a 15/19 but ill check it to be sure. it is aluminum and in great shape...<br />If yours is rough find a prop repair place and have it fixed.....u will be amazed how it helps if they do a good job.<br />I can red line with this prop so it would be nice to have something a bit bigger to get the rest of the hp out of the boat...but I don't think I can go but about one inch larger and wouldn't have a clue about what pitch to use.<br />I have a SS prop and it runs slow. I think the added weight of the prop is a big factor and it isn't a good idea to run SS on a 270 anyway. Mine came with the boat but I just use it as a back up prop.<br />Let me know how it goes.<br /><br />Michael<br />zakiah7

zakaih7

Seaman Apprentice

sorry but i had the prop wrong it is a 19/17 and it is a volvo prop....aluminum.<br /><br />Michael<br />zakiah7