Volvo 270 hard to steer under power

Hurrikain

Cadet
Hello folk, I have a 1974 Chrysler Conqueror S-III with a 340 V-8 and a Volvo 270 drive.. I just purchased this boat this summer and the steering is Very stiff under power.. I tried a completly different steering out of my other S-III project but had the same issues.. Was wondering if someone has seen this before and if so whats the solution to my problem.. I appreciate the help and if I can help in any way with your Chrysler project feel free to contact me.. I run the Chrysler Marine website at http://www.geocities.com/thechryslercrew Thanks so much! Dave

richkiefs

Recruit
Re: Volvo 270 hard to steer under power

same problem here,but i have a 85 bayliner.<br />i have to hold on with two hands when its at highspeed!and trying to turn at a high speed is very hard to hold on to the wheel.ever try the <br />exhaust trim? someone told me to remove the whale tale .its winter here and i will have to wait for summer to try anything else on it!<br />good luck!

BlackSmoke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only stiff when under power? Hmmm...<br />How do you define stiff? You should be able to turn both ways with one finger very easily when not under way.<br />Make sure to disconnect steering cable (not under power, of course) and see if stiffness is in cable or drive. Is stiffness in both directions or one? If one, you might need a torque tab adjustment - move in direction of easy turning. If both, and drive swings freely when disconnected from cable, and helm same, get a new steering cable. You can only expect eight or ten years from a steering cable, anyway.

Hurrikain

Cadet

I thought the cable Idea too..I have another S-III I'm restoring and pulled the complete steering out of this boat and swapped it to see if there was any change.. It was exactly the same.. And yes it is stiff in both directions, where you need almost 2 hands to muscle it around. Now it is stiffer on way than the other but not to the point where I would think the tab would make the difference... Crazy isn't it???<br /><br />Dave

BlackSmoke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dave, Did the outdrive swing freely side to side when you disconnected the cable? How about the helm, did it operate smoothly? Also, was the other cable you installed an old one? If so to all, you need a new cable.

Hurrikain

Cadet

The one steering assembly I tried was a brand New Teleflex setup... It really has me baffled.<br /><br />Dave

BlackSmoke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stiffness must be in your outdrive.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Grab the outdrive while it's on the trailer and see if it has any up/down play at the pivot points. Maybe the bearings are bad or dry of lubricant.

geriksen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does the package have power steering?<br />I don't know if Chrysler ever put power steering on these. The real problem could be the bushings at the steering shaft above the helmet. If they are worn out it they could be lettting the shaft bind uner a load. You could detatch the helmet from the upper gearcase and then wiggle the steering yoke to see how sloppy it is. Teleflex has a new "no feedback steering system" Is that what you tried?<br />Nice website by the way. I always thought that it was a shame Chrysler got out of the marine engine business. (except for their outboards. I don't miss those)Their inboards were awsome.

Hurrikain

Cadet

I had someone else mention the bearings( bushings) also.. I need to see if this is a backyard mechanic possible repair.. It does have some slop but I havent pulled off the helmet yet ( been in the single digits temp wise ) Brrrr.. Thanks for the kind words on the site.. BTW we have lots of guys running the Chrysler Outboards who love them.. I have heard folks say they were a problem but the guys I know wouldn't have anything else... It's suppose to be in the 40's this weekend maybe I can get out and look at it..<br /><br />Dave

coolchange

Recruit

I have a 275 od and exactly the same prob. If all is moving well on a trailer, or at rest try this: muscle it onto a straight track and let go (sort of). Which direction does the boat want to go? (and I assume fairly aggressivly) Now, you need to turn the exhaust steering tab a few degrees toward the direction the boat wants to go. Repeat the experiment and continue making the adjustments till you track straight with very little effort.<br />Once you have the tab where you want it (you can do this off the swim platform or at a dock) except now I recommend you mark where the fin is pointed so you can always set it to this point and when out of the water use some thread sealant, locktight etc and really torque the bolt. The exhaust fin is about $100 if it vibrates loose. You will love the results