Vinyl flooring adhesive on penetrating expoxy

TimB

Cadet
I am replacing the floor in my 1987 StarCraft Holiday. I am using marine plywood and have added 3 coats of penetrating epoxy.

I plan to use MariDeck vinyl flooring.

I am trying to figure out what adhesive to use.

I am concerned the water-based adhesives (such are DeckRite MD101) may not stick to the epoxy (also, the vinyl will run up the aluminum hull on the inside of the bow, under the deck).

I am wondering if the solvent based DeckRite MD102 is compatible with the epoxy.
Has anyone used that product on penetrating epoxy? Does is solubilize the epoxy?

Any advise appreciated.

BTW

Considering the amount of $$$$ I have in this project already (including a new custom aluminum belly tank and all the fixings) I don't mind spending an extra $70 or $90 for the MariDeck brand adhesives, but am open to listen to your experiences with other cheaper options.

Thanks!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I used 3M 80 on my Nautolex vinyl deck covering, not sure it's cheap tho. :lol:

Cured epoxy won't have a problem with solvent based adhesive, especially since it will gas out in a minute or 2 on the 2 surfaces and then cure.

You have a restoration thread for your Holly? Pics?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The epoxy will be comparable with just about any adhesive you use, it's sort a non issue from that angle.

TimB

Cadet
Thanks gents. I will go with the solvent based adhesive.

Watermann, I do not have a thread for my boat. I acquired this boat nearly 10 years ago, and it was in good original shape then, and still is aside from the floor. The floor rotted above the belly gas tank, and my project is really just a floor replacement, during which time I found that the aluminum tank had a hundred pin holes in the top, and some larger holes.

Also, the filler hose was weeping gasoline which ate holes through the hull underneath.

I have been taking pictures, and I have some worthwhile info to share. I will do my best to put a thread over on the StarCraft board.

BTW love your Chieftain restoration. There was a 1973 21 footer available near here a couple weeks ago that I wanted to go for, but I have been having a hard enough time finishing my Holiday floor replacement, and I like being married :)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks for taking a look at my Chief thread and the compliment.

I had a similar rotten belly tank issue in my SS, it's not good having a ticking time bomb under foot. :eek: