VHF radio noise

I recently installed a Garmin GPS sounder<br />Its interferreing with my Icom 302 VHF radio<br />I've moved the antenna so its about 8' from my GPS antenna and about three feet from the actual unti and it didn't help.<br />I've got a small cokpit aand I can't move things much further apart.<br />I've using a 8'fiberglass antenna from Shakespear<br />I've emailed I com, Garmin and Shakespear<br />So far nobodys been able to help me<br />Any Ideas?

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer
Re: VHF radio noise

Have a look at this post<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=002448 <br /><br />Garmin seem to be getting a reputation here!<br /><br />I doubt whether it's the GPS part. That's a receiver not transmitter. More likely to be the sounder part as that is generating electromagnetic pulses. Try disconnecting the sounder transducer cable. Does that fix it?<br /><br />If so you could try to reroute the cable away from the VHF aerial & cable.<br /><br />Otherwise sounds like you should be talking to faulkemup99!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VHF radio noise

Not by any stretch of imagination is this in any way a Johnson or Evinrude engine trouble.<br /><br />Electronics.