Vernatherm

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The motor is a 73 135 Evinrude and I got a hot buzz the other day. Several factors in play here. The water intakes were covered with weeds when I hauled it out - that may have been a factor. The motor had been idle for several years and the water pump has not been replaced in my time (that's happening today). Just to touch all the bases, I thought I'd eyeball the vernatherm as well.

Is there a Good Ole Boy method of testing a vernatherm? Will placing it in a pot of water and heating it give me a visual sign of it functioning?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Vernatherm

Yup, but you need a thermometer and must know the opening temp.

burroak

If I'm not mistaken, it is a 105 degree, and I have a rectal thermometer.:D I have just never seen the item and did not know if the diaphragm was visible to see if it opened.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The pin in the vernatherm extends when hot. I suggest you look at the pump before ordering parts. If it still has the old aluminum housing I suggest springing for a complete water pump repair kit, which includes a plastic housing with stainless steel liners. A much better pump.

burroak

The pin in the vernatherm extends when hot. I suggest you look at the pump before ordering parts. If it still has the old aluminum housing I suggest springing for a complete water pump repair kit, which includes a plastic housing with stainless steel liners. A much better pump.

The new and improved pump is a done deal -it's coming in today. Thanks for the pin info.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When you test the vernatherm, not let it rest on the bottom of the pan as you will get an inaccurate reading. Use a piece of wire to suspend the vernatherm in the pan with the pin facing upward. Otherwise you might not see it rise. Likewise, do not let the thermometer probe rest ont he bottom of the pan -- suspend it and take the measurement right next to the vernatherm. If the vernatherm opening temp is 105 degrees, tap water will be hot enough to open it.

burroak

When you test the vernatherm, not let it rest on the bottom of the pan as you will get an inaccurate reading. Use a piece of wire to suspend the vernatherm in the pan with the pin facing upward. Otherwise you might not see it rise. Likewise, do not let the thermometer probe rest ont he bottom of the pan -- suspend it and take the measurement right next to the vernatherm. If the vernatherm opening temp is 105 degrees, tap water will be hot enough to open it.

During my search of vernatherms, I ran across a mention of replacing the vernatherm with the power head intact. I have replaced the water pump assembly and would like to examine the vernatherm; not enough to pull the power head though.