V6 Ficht XD 50 Alternatives

kosi99

Cadet
Can anyone tell me what oil is compatible to the OMC XD 50 , I am having troubles finding it in my area , thanks in advance. I don't want to ruin my motors , they are running great !! Advice etc... :):)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: V6 Ficht XD 50 Alternatives

That is an excellent oil, especially with the carbon treatment built in. If you want to stick with what you are using, they will ship it to you. Select from "Accessories" at the right side of the following link:

http://shop.evinrude.com/

If you want to widen your search locally, try the locator by selecting the third choice and entering your area code or zip here:

http://dealerlocator.evinrude.com/en/410000.shtml

kosi99

Cadet

Thanks , I went to the website , $ 36 a gallon , that is more expensive than my dealer here in Vancouver !! I am not trying to cheap out of the quality oil , but , that is crazy , I run twin 2000 V6 150's on my 24 Striper , out of Barlkey Sound , Vancouver Island , 20 - 30 miles Offshore ,It is very costly , I just find it hard to believe that Evinrude is the only Company that makes this product exclusively , Are we just paying for the name , or am I just Hooped !!! My Warranty is now over !! :rolleyes::eek::mad:

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

All authorized Johnson/Evinrude Service and Sales Centers carry it.

It is available in Ontario in Quebec from Benson (www.autopartsextra.com)

Not sure if they'll ship it but it's $35-$40 a gallon there as well.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Back to the OP's original question (and I'm genuinely curious) and to bump this back up

What is the actual spec for the oil needed in that engine, and what are the alternatives that meet that spec? Surely the XD50 isn't the only oil that can be used, period?

Also, I can't believe that Quebec is the closest Canadian source to Vancouver, BC. That's like saying someone in Seattle, WA would have to order from New York City! I can't believe a large city like Vancouver wouldn't have a full-fledged BRP dealer with that oil ... or a source of equivalent spec. oil.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I don't know this for certain, but according to a few folks I know or spoke with including mechanics (and those who own Ficht Evinrude engines) it is recommended to only use XD50 or XD100 oils (and program the engine accordingly) for the type of oil.

I think this was definitely the case in the OMC Ficht days that has carried over into the BRP Ficht days when they fixed the problems in the design. However, with the history of the Ficht issues, I'd be inclined to stay with the Evinrude oils for that reason.

And yes, Vancouver would have resellers. All Johnson authorized resellers and repair shops carry it. But it all is $35 -$40/gallon.

kosi99

Cadet

Thanks for the response guy's . was hoping for more insight on this , but , have spoken to Amsoil , they insist that there high end Hp Injector Oil , is as good , if not better , they say that at has all the ingredients of the X 50 , also is a 50:1 mix , carbon detergents , etc ... have never had a issue ,with the Ficht owners that buy it , yet !! , And say that if there ever was a failure , they would pay for any damages upon a investigation of the oil failure , they sound very confident. They would sell me a 16 gallon Keg for $ 22 a gallon . The nearest place from me to order it would cost me $ 45 to ship it to my door , now the cost would be $ 25 ish . This is better , but , I still question the switch . My motors are now fully serviced , only 300 hrs on them , my local Evinrude mechanic , says , they run perfect . I can't believe how quiet the twin 150's are , and great on fuel , Really impressed with them so far , keep my fingers crossed !! Yes my local dealer sells the X 50 , but very expensive , and by the bottle only , I have heard some dealers sell it in bulk , buyer supply's the containers , around $ 22 to $ 25 a Gallon , NOT $ 40 , seems excessive !! that's all. I wish I new where I could find that guy !! Washington State even , I have family there !! Please help Boy's !!
( click on image to enlarge ) Cheers , the Fog Ducker...

Attachments

• IMG_1356 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1356 (Small).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 0

clanton

Rear Admiral

Did you look in the owners manual for oil specs.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I'm fairly certain that you can buy XD-50 in a barrel also if you are willing to buy in quantity for the price break.

Edit: The 2.5 Gallon bottle is Part Number 777226.

The 5 Gallon bottle is Part Number 777227.

The 16 Gallon drum is Part Number 764355.

The 55 Gallon drum is Part Number 777228.

If the forum members were as confident as the aftermarket oil sales people are, I'm sure that you would have had a lot more responses.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I have a force 85 hp and I run the xd 50 in it and I noticed that it smokes a lot less, fouls less plugs, and starts easier than when I used other brands. Right now the marina has it priced at $24 a gallon.

kosi99

Cadet

Ezeke ,

Your probably right, I Tired convincing myself to find an alternative quality oil , feel like Evinrude oil was maybe way over infalted because they got there name on it , that's all . The motors are running so nice right now , I don't think I want to jeopardize that . However , I still would like to find someone out here on the Coast that will sell it to me in bulk !! I will guiding out of Bamfield next year , thank , the Fog Ducker...:)

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

You should definitely call around to all the BRP/Evinrude dealers in your area. Every Ev. dealer of any size in my neck of the woods sells in bulk. Bring in a 5 gallon (or smaller) clean gas can or a bunch of empty gallon oil containers and it costs <$25 per gallon. I checked recently because I was curious (don't use it because I have an old carb'd 2 stroke and no special oil is needed). I was curious because it is indeed competative with gallon prices of higher end oils elsewhere if bought in bulk.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The XD100 is a very expensive synthetic, designed for the new ETECH engines, where the computer can be set to dial back the oil usage. The Fichts do not have that option. You can run the XD100 in any engine, but it's high price only makes it affordable if you can reduce the engine oil usage on the ETECHS. Your owner's manual should state that you can use any oil that is certified as TC-W3. These oils are for water cooled engines. There is a difference with the air-cooled two stroke oils. Additives make the oils different. The XD50 is an oil which will smoke less and has their carbon guard already premixed for convenience. If you have a 9.9, any TCW-3 oil should be ok. If you are running a v-4 or v-6, I'd get a premium TCW-3 oil-like the XD50. The XD50 is also available in a handy 2 1/2 gallon container.