Unloading a roller trailer - How do I?

mannyq

Seaman
I have a Karavan roller trailer for 23ft walkaround and need some advice or tips please.<br /><br />If bunk trailers can be unhooked before the boat is backed into the water and once the boat starts to float I guess it will slide off the bunks, what is the correct or easiest way to unload a roller trailer without taking a bath since you would have to wait till the tension is off the cable/strap before you can unhook it? Same question when loading, you can power up the bunks until friction holds you then hook it but with rollers you roll back into water.<br /><br />Should I submerge the trailer until the transom floats when unloading or just back up till transom hits the water and winch it out the rest of the way? Same with loading? <br /><br />Thanks.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Unloading a roller trailer - How do I?

Smaller boat (18'), but similar set-up.<br /><br />Depending on the ramp...<br />- I usually back the trailer until the last 1/4 to 1/3 of the boat is in the water<br />- I then push the boat (winch strap attached) off the trailer<br />- I can usually reach the bow hook from the dock to detach<br /><br />To load, I've found it better to winch the boat up, instead of floating, because the rollers will guide the boat to center. That's why it's easier to have the strap extended (more cranking, but better overall).<br /><br />I think ShoreLander has some guides on their site here <br /><br />But the best I've seen, is courtesy of our iBoats friends, here

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and DO NOT unhook that safety chain or winch strap until u are in the water, or it may ruin your day

gss036

Commander

One purpose of the roller trailer is to be able to launch your boat without putting the wheels and (bearings/brakes)into saltwater. I have launched a 23 WA for years from a roller trailer and I always back down until the real wheels are just into the water, then I unhook the safety chain and then loosen the cable and roll the boat off the trailer, sometimes it may take a little help, depending on the ramp. I would not advise you just to let it roll off real fast as that is a lot of weight.<br />I have seen a lot of guys float off and on with rollers but defeats the purpose and will ruin the brakes in one season if you don't have a wash down handy once you get salt into the drums.

snowshoe

Seaman

I see that rc581 has had the same experience with roller trailers. On her maiden voyage, my friend disconnected the winch strap and safety chain from his new 18 lund tournament boat. As we backed down the ramp (fairly steep), the boat rolled off the trailer and crunched the keel at the transom right at the drain plug. Thereafter he released the winch strap and chain after the boat was in the water.<br />At our marina on Slave Lake, nearly everyone drives their boats on and off the trailer. The roller units work well to gudie the boat onto the middle of the trailer. We back the trailer into the water til the transom floats, release the strap and chain, start the motor and back off. For loading we back the trailer into the water til the trailer wheels are 1/2 to 3/4 submerged (you will have to find the proper level for your trailer/boat combination, drive the boat slowing ontothe trailer (4/5 the way on) attach the winch strap and finish loading with the winch.<br />On the Red River in Manitoba I noticed few boaters do this and line the boat of and on (a shame because the launch was suited to driveon/off) :cool:

snowshoe

Seaman

I see that rc581 has had the same experience with roller trailers. On her maiden voyage, my friend disconnected the winch strap and safety chain from his new 18 lund tournament boat. As we backed down the ramp (fairly steep), the boat rolled off the trailer and crunched the keel at the transom right at the drain plug. Thereafter he released the winch strap and chain after the boat was in the water.<br />At our marina on Slave Lake, nearly everyone drives their boats on and off the trailer. The roller units work well to gudie the boat onto the middle of the trailer. On the Red River in Manitoba I noticed few boaters do this and line the boat of and on (a shame because the launch was suited to driveon/off)

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 23' walkaround, which I launch and retrieve from a roller trailer by myself most of the time. Its easy. I back up until the wheels are about at the water. I stop and get out and unhook the cable (I unhook my safety chains back in the parking lot) and tie the dock line that is already attached to the front cleat to the winch post. If someone is with me I hand them the line instead. Then I get back in the truck, Let off the brake and let it roll back about 4 feet and slam on the brakes. If I'm alone I pullback forward a couple of feet and get out and untie the rope from the trailer and tie up to a dock while I go park. If someone is with me I pull out and go park immediately, while they tie up the boat, start the engine, get the electronics fired up, all that stuff.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I also have a roller trailer for a 21 foot closed bow Runabout. I back down the ramp as far as I can and still get to the wench strap and saftey chain without getting wet. Get back in my truck and backup a little more and hit the brakes boat rolls off slowly. To retreive I like the trailer deep enough so boat will float 3/4 the way on then use wench to crank on so boat has a chance to center. Put the saftey chain on and up the ramp.

snowshoe

Seaman

sorry everyone for the double post. I tried to edit the original and it seems it got posted 2x

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my input....1971 18' winner back in till the fenders are just under water hook a line to the boat release the winch boat comes of nice nice never a problem i do it by my self and its never a problem,when i load it i do the same but in reverse hook a bow line to it push it out in the water a little get it in line give it a pull up she comes hook the winch to it crank it up the rest of the way 10 minute job nice and easy! <br /> ***1971 winner 1969 115 jonny***

Mississaugi

Recruit

In Northern Ontario I launch either of my boats (14' and 19' twin engined Lund) usually down any convienient chunk of bedrock. The roller trailer is the greatest type for this. Usually I back into the water, unhook winch and push the boat off the trailer, keeping in mind that I have a 9m (30') line tied to the bow with which I pull the boat back shore. To reload when alone, I push to boat offshore and use the line to pull the boat back in alignment with the trailer, pull it up and hook on the winch strap.

BillP

Captain

Tires backed down till they get wet, but not the rims. Unhook the bow and push off. Retrieve the same but use a winch to pull the boat in. Very similar to tilt trailers and saves the trailer.

placebo

Seaman

I have a Load-Rite trailer with wobble rollers, and my boat is a 17 plus foot Glastron with Volvo I/O(fairly heavy boat). The boat launch near my camp is quite shallow, so to get the boat to float off, I need to back my car half way across the lake. If I try to roll boat off the trailer without floating it,I damn near give myself a hernia. Is there a way to lubricate this type of roller, or does anyone know what I can replace them with? Thanks.<br /><br />David