troubleshooting electrical connection / switch

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
I'm having issues with troubleshooting an electrical connection to my one of my pumps. I have a switch in the center console for the pump, and I'm trying to figure out if the issue is with the switch or the wiring. Could someone point me in the right direction for how to troubleshoot this? I have a multimeter, but just don't have any knowledge for how to troubleshoot the switch.

Thanks!

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: troubleshooting electrical connection / switch

Test at the switch first.

1. Test the hot side of the switch to make sure it has constant 12V. If yes, go to #2. If no your problem is before the switch.
2. Test the other side of the switch to see if it has 12V when the switch is put in the on position. If yes to both the switch is good......unless there is an intermitent bad connection in it. If no then the switch is bad.

3. Test the hot wire from the switch to the pump. Test it at the pump connection. Is there 12V at the pump? If no, then your problem is in that wire run. If yes then you have a problem with the pump itself or possibly a bad ground.

Apply the same concept to anything in any circuit you are testing. And these tests can also be done using the continuity test function of your meter if you don't want to deal with the electric being hot for some reason.

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Re: troubleshooting electrical connection / switch

Thank you much pinellas50.

I tried connecting the pump directly to the battery, and it works, so the issue must lie before the pump.

I think my switches and breakers are starting to fail due to corrosion and rust, so I'm going to start with replacing this one switch and breaker, allong with the wires that connect the switch & breaker and see if that solves the issue. If it does, then I'm going to do some preventative maintenance and replace all the rusty switches, breakers, and wires. They are 10 years old, so it's about time they start to fail I guess.