trouble removing flywheel off of a 40 hp jhonson

can n e one please advise on how to remove flywheel on a 1966 40 hp jhonson?
I've tried the harmonic puller n nothing. I'm trying to get to the points

kfa4303

Banned
Re: trouble removing flywheel off of a 40 hp jhonson

Gotta use the flywheel puller (properly of course). No other way that I know of. Make sure you have strong GRADE 8 bolts, which usually do not come with the puller kits, but can be found and Lowes or HD for cheap. Only thread them into the flywheel about 7/16". You don't want the bolts to got throught the flywheel and damage the coils beneath it. If you've tighten the center bolt on the puller as far as you can try a bit of pb blaster and let it sit. Also, keep the loosened flywheel nut on the shaft while trying to pull the fylwheel so when the flywheel comes loose it doesn't potentially fly off. Some say that tapping on the center bolt of the puller with a hammer can help loosen the flywheel too, but be careful not to hit it to hard. Just a firm tap or two. Be patient! I've heard folks say it has take days for a stubborn flywheel to come off, but my '66 Johnson 33hp flywheel came of with relative ease. Don't be affraid to really tighten the center bolt on the puller. I thought I had mine tight, but then I tigntened it even more and "pop", the flywheel came right off. Good luck.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Try snugging that puller down real tight and then take a rubber mallet and hitting the outside of the flywheel several times all around the edge; most of the time that works for me. All bets are off if the PO used loctite.

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used a fly wheel puller, PB Blaster, and a propane torch.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Get the puller on tight until it won't pop, get someone to put a prybar underneath the flywheel as not to break anything and put some upward pressure to prevent bearing damage (you will feel slight upward movement from the crank) then hit the top of the puller with a hammer, it will pop.