Trouble Dropping 1978 6HP Johnson Gearcase

gnarleygnu

Cadet
So I have the manual for my make/model of engine, and I've searched the net and iboat forums and am still stuck.

My manual implies it's quite simple to drop the gearcase: simply unscrew the 4 bolts, shift into reverse, rotate prop to align seal support pin, gearcase drops, unscrew connector screw etc.

I have tried everything under the sun to get my gearcase to drop, I've slowly turned the flywheel (clockwise) while pulling down on the gearcase to try to line up the pin and get the gearcase to drop: no luck. It is only dropped about 1 mm, maybe 2mm.

I reallyreally don't want to pull the powerhead, I just rebuilt the carb and put everything back together...

If anyone has any insight about possible solutions I would be much obliged.

Thanks!

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trouble Dropping 1978 6HP Johnson Gearcase

drive shaft may be stuck inside crank shaft...try soft mallet to loose stuck shaft. Don't beat it like it owes you money just tap it down and see what happens.
Wayne

gnarleygnu

Cadet

Hmm, tried a few reasonable whacks on the gearcase, no luck. Turned the prop, whacked it a few more times, still won't drop. This motor is my wife's grandpa's, he claims he's never replaced the impeller, so this could be the first time this gearcase has been asked to drop.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I don't see where you undid the shift rod. Remove the BOTTOM bolt from the shift coupling.

gnarleygnu

Cadet

If I'm understanding you, this is the bolt that is revealed by the gearcase dropping an inch or so by unscrewing the 4 bolts and shifting the transmission into reverse. I can see the bolt, but there is only a 1mm gap between the gearcase and the upper unit, not enough room to squeeze a screwdriver in there.

So my problem is actually more specific than my posted question, the gearcase won't drop to allow me access to the shift coupling bolt.

The only other option I can think of is to pull the powerhead to visually confirm the parts are lined up to allow the gearcase to drop (sorry for lack of terminology, don't have the manual in front of me, I just know that a pin has to be lined up for the gearcase to initially drop, which should be accomplished by just rotating the prop or flywheel). I'm loathe to pull the powerhead for such a (supposedly) simple repair...

Thanks

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

most likely spline still stuck in the crank...it dropped a little so, id move it back up and then dropp it again, then move it back up and drop it again...working that splined shatf a little further out each time...rubber mallet or wood in various solid spots all around the lower unit..NOT one side more than another

it should come

good luck

bob

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If the driveshaft is indeed stuck, I would go ahead and pull the powerhead as chance are the seal assembly at the top of the shaft is compromised.

gnarleygnu

Cadet

Bob-good advice, I think I'll work it over a bit (gently) to try to get it to drop. If that doesn't work Chine's advice comes into play. I'll play it safe and pull the powerhead to make sure I don't mess anything up too bad.

Thanks all for the advice.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Just to review:

You can enlarge the opening by moving the shift lever;

The screw has to be removed, not loosened, from the shift rod coupler;

If the shift rod does not release, use a screwdriver to widen the coupler opening a bit.