Trim/Tilt knocking noise?

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,<br /><br />My '95 50 hp Johnson's trim/tilt developed a knocking noise on the down stroke only. I've checked the pins/bushings and they rotate freely. I operated the trim/tilt while it was not connected to the engine and the noise was still there. I checked the fluid while unit was vertical and that seems fine. I've bled the system per the manual and noise stops, but then re-appears when the trim motor cools down (10-15 min). This is driving me nutz!!!! Bleeding proceedure was to cycle up and down a minimum of 5 times while holding trim button on for 5-10 sec at each end of stroke. After 4-5 cycles the knocking noise just stops! Electric motor is warm to the touch. This noise just started when weather turned cold (40 or so). <br /><br />Any help before I bring it in to the shop would be great!

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trim/Tilt knocking noise?

UPDATE!<br /><br />Boat is sitting in garage at 30 degrees. I heated TNT unit slightly with a hair drier and noise is gone. It will come back when it cools. Could this be a sticking down valve or the flow control piston? Should I even bother to have the dealer look at it?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Piet....could you tell where the noise was coming from and does the motor "jerk" when the noise occurs?

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It seems the be in the pump/valve body not the electric motor and operation is fairly smooth, not jerky. It only takes a little bit of heat, as with a blowdrier, to get the noise to stop. When it cools down past 40 or so it's right back to knock, knock, knock throughout the complete downstroke.