trim tabs v foils

gregdorado

Seaman Apprentice
ihave a 20ft glass boat similer to 20ft bertram. which was origanaly fitted whith a 165 merc. which i have replaced. whith a250 hp mercruiser gen 2 and alpha 1 leg. my problem is that it is realy stern heavy. it has 200lt fuel tank which would be hard to shift forward but not impossible . ihave been thinking of fitting a foil called a permatrim.or some trim tabs any usefull comments would be apreiciated thanks. greg :D :D

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: trim tabs v foils

With that kind of weight in the stern,you will probably need both.Charlie

f_inscreenname

Commander

I would go with the tabs first. You really need to talk to the “TABMAN”. You will find him or his partner “TABMAN II” on this board some where. Do a search, they probably have there contact info on there last post. They are from Bennett Trim Tabs and there service is unmatched. There is no one on this board that will have a bad thing to say about them. I would bet on that.

Tabman II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

gregdorado,<br /><br />Hi, I am Thomas and I work for Bennett Marine in the Client Service department.<br /><br />Installing trim tabs on your will help with your stern heaviness, so really you need to start by checking your Available Mounting Area (determined by starting 3-4” from the chine and measuring to within 8” of the outdrive). This will let us know how much room you have to work with on your installation, since the largest trim tabs that will comfortably fit on your transom will be the most efficient. Please take a look and get back to me with your findings, so we can provide some trim tab kit part numbers to choice from and use them to shop around your local marine dealers, catalog &/or Internet retailers to get your best deal!<br /><br />I look forward to your reply.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />MJ Thomas<br />Bennett Marine, Inc.<br />Client Services<br />trimtabs@earthlink.net<br />www.bennetttrimtabs.com

f_inscreenname

Commander

See what I mean “so you can shop around to get the best price”. No sales pitch just honest help. I told you all after they helped me (way above the call of duty) I would blow there horn any time I could!!! Bennett is still the best of any marine supplier I have ever dealt with.

gregdorado

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys. i ordered a set of 10x12 tabs yesterday. whilst doing that the guy at the shop gave me a 4 bladed solas prop. 18 pitch to try. . tryed it to day. diferent boat i can now look over the screen whith out standig on my esky cant belive the dif. the other prop was a 3 blade alum 17 pitch. even the minister /govener for finance was impressed :) i am still going to put the tabson cause it could still come down a bit more and she who must be obeyed said i could :D cant pass on that now can i ;)