Trim sometimes just clicks.....

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1996 mercruiser 4.3lx inboard/outboard. Every now and then, it would just click when I tried to let it up and down. But recently it can take up to 10 tries before it will go up or down. Any ideas????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim sometimes just clicks.....

Could be a number of things. Bad wiring connection someplace. Bad switch at the helm, bad fuse connection in the fuse holder, bad motor, shorted wiring.
What drive ya got?

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could be a number of things. Bad wiring connection someplace. Bad switch at the helm, bad fuse connection in the fuse holder, bad motor, shorted wiring.
What drive ya got?

1996 mercruiser alpha one gen 1 I think, the original owner replaced the drive and put an older one in there. I scared one day it will just click and not work.

Bondo

Staff member

1996 mercruiser alpha one gen 1 I think, the original owner replaced the drive and put an older one in there. I scared one day it will just click and not work.

Ayuh,.... Clean all the corrosion from the wirin' ends, 'n terminals at the pump, then grease 'em,....

That'll give ya a Good shot at that nightmare not happenin',...

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,.... Clean all the corrosion from the wirin' ends, 'n terminals at the pump, then grease 'em,....

That'll give ya a Good shot at that nightmare not happenin',...

Thanks Bondo, what kind of grease should I use to grease them. I've never cleaned or greased them.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Bondo, what kind of grease should I use to grease them. I've never cleaned or greased them.
Ayuh,.... Whatever's in the nearest greasegun, hopefully within arms reach,... ;)
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V