trim limit switch

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i just took this switch off to clean as one of the steps to take to find out why my trim was not working in the up.

i saw that there were splines, and they didnt go all the way around the switch. was one missing, maybe broke off. im talking about on the plastic switch here.

next thing is when i bought the boat, i somewhat noticed that there were only one screw on each of the plastic tabs, trim sender and limit

today i see why. the top 2 are broke off in the holes. i'll have to easyout them. why did they shear, someone tighten them too hard? they seem like the heads are hidden from the stern mount.

plus, the limit switch, port side, had both sheared off and someone already retapped the bottom one.

i've had the boat for maybe 2 months now, i run it alot, ive had minimal problems to say the least. i dont think the seller knew, she said someone always worked on the boat for her.

any idea what caused these screw heads to shear off like that?

everything works but trim up. it's a alpha one, gen II
1993, serial number off the top of my head
0D8....

Bondo

Staff member
Re: trim limit switch

shelikesit said:
any idea what caused these screw heads to shear off like that?

My Guess is,........

Somebody has Already Tried to Fix it,+ Broken the Screwheads Off while trying to take it Apart.......

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Yep - what bondo said. If it is run in saltwater the chances are good that those little screws are going to be set up and will never come out without breaking. Very common. It is also common to see both the limit and senders with the wires cut off and not even used.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

up until i put it in the salt when i bought it, this was a fresh water boat. thanks but i do feel your both correct, they went to replace them and broke the heads off.

id like to repair them both none the least.

thanks

Bondo

Staff member

You Do Realize that the Entire outer transom Assembley has to be taken Apart to fish the New Wires thru,..??....
Right,..??..??......

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there's some things people know, but tend to not look at, but make sure they know, and read tons about it before an attempt is made........

i was waiting to see what the part at a store close by tomorrow has to make sure what i thought was correct, which is what you said. looking at the parts on the drive today, there was no splicing, so one of 2 things had to happen......

1. the new part would have short crimp connectors for splicing, or..............

2. the wires on the new parts would be long enough that they would have to feed back through the transom to the pump.

so, its not looking good for the short wire outcome tomorrow.

we've been hitting nothing but huge huge reds for a month now, whatever it takes to keep doing what im doing.

why?

cause the kings are starting to come around.

i thank you very much

Bondo

Staff member

I Don't Know about the Kings starting to come Around,.........
But,......
I can tell you My Work Around.........

On the Inside of the Boat,......
Those wires run In thru the drive, Just Above the Driveshaft,......
Follow them to where they meet the Trimpump Harness, At this point they join by Bullet Connectors,...
It's an Easy By-pass at This Point,.. Just Unplug,+ Replug......
The Trim Gauge wires,... I just Cut them Off......

If you go this route,.... The "Up" buttom will go ALL the way Up,....Don't run it Too High....
And,.....
You'll be able to change out the Trim Gauge to Something Else,..... I added an Hourmeter......

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if i do this, what happens when the "trim up" button is hit on the control

nothing?

i can't have nothing. this isn't the boat i want, i need to keep it factory for a good resale so when i find the boat i need, i can off this one, add some green to it, and get back to a walkaround cuddy and not this normal cabin.

unless theres a good line for as to why that button is there and no sound comes out.

i hear a sound.......... sounds like a job.

Bondo

Staff member

shelikesit said:
if i do this, what happens when the "trim up" button is hit on the control

nothing?

No,....... The trim Up Button moves the drive from All the way Down,.....
To All the way Up,...... The Trailer Button will do the Same Thing,.......
The Trim Up,+ the Trailer Up will do the Exact Same Functions,..........
Just No Limit,...... You'll be able to Trim Up to High,.... Into the Trailer range.......

I Said it's a Work-Around,........ Not the Short-Cut Cure.........

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The boat i bought has the same issue. the guy I bought it from basically re-did the entire outdrive and bellows before realizing there was an issue with the trim guage and limit. he told me about it and it was part of the "negotiation" for the price. It made no sense to re-do all that work to fish the wire through so I just left it as-is. I can trim up and down fine, I just needto watch the "up" because there is no limit until it reaches "trailer" height.

I never thought to use that wire for something else - good idea.

You get used to it soon enough.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did the work-around as bondo suggested. This way something happens when I hit the trim up.

thanks for the reply, as soon as the $$ fairy comes back around to bless me, im offing this boat for a bigger cuddy.

will i stay sterndrive and not go outboard?

probably.......... i was born with a hard head and like to stick with what suits me. i like the sterndrives. maybe one day i can afford 2 of them outside my transom.

i learned a good way to a happy relationship, stay boating. especially when one half of it hates it :)