Tricks for removing sticking/ corroded trim cylinders?

probee773

Cadet
Anyone have any tricks for remove sticking trim cylinders?
I've read many posts which say that the pins at the transom shield will corrode and be difficult to remove. I have a 1993 Wellcraft Excel 18sx with a volvo penta 230A & SP CD trim 290 outdrive that seems to be having this problem. I tried following the manual instructions and using a grease fitting (zerk) to get the pins out. No such luck. A friend of mine suggested switching between a blow torch and ice to expand and contract the metal, but this seems extreme. Any other ideas?

Also, this seems like a silly question, but I'm just trying to make sure I fully understand how this works. The pin is supposed to come out on the inside (bildge side) of the transom shield, correct?

Thanks in advance!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tricks for removing sticking/ corroded trim cylinders?

Yes, the pin comes out from inside the boat. Did you remove the small bolt that holds the pin in? It's inside the boat also.

probee773

Cadet

It's the bolt that is right next to the pin, correct? If so, then yes I did.

Is there a diagram that shows how this pin works? I don't understand how a bolt that is next to the pin can be holding in the pin.

Don S

The head of the bolt just sticks over the end of the pin, so it can't back out.
Usually, if they won't come out with a grease gun or the special hammer tool used to move the pin (I had it work 1 time out of 10 in salt water) I always end up pulling the engine, drive and transom shield so I can use a slide hammer and a big Oxy/Act torch to heat both sides, then use the slide hammer with a threaded end into the pin.

probee773

Cadet

** to clarify, when I say "next to" I mean parrallel to the pin. I could understand how this works if the bolt was perpendicular to the pin, but parrallel, I'm not quite sure.

Don S

Like I said, the HEAD of the bolt just sticks over the end of the pin opening. It just blocks the hole so it can't get away. It doesn't put pressure on the pin at all.