Transponder location

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everybody. I purchased a fishfinder/depth sounder with a speedometer/trip log feature to replace the fishfinder that had come with my pontoon boat. The previous owner had installed his transponder on a bracket attached to the rear of the pontoon. This worked great when used at idling or slow speed but when I installed the new transponder in the same place, the turbulence from the pontoon wake at higher speeds caused the speedometer to malfunction. Is there any way to either install some sort of baffle or move the location of the transponder somehow to a different place so that I can use the speedometer and trip log? Thanks for any suggestions. Ron

Homerr

Commander
Re: Transponder location

Don't know about the location on a pontoon, but the dealer put my transponder too close to my drive AND wired it right into the main bus on the circuit breakers! It never worked right. :mad: <br /><br />I had to move it as far as I could away from the gimbal, and run a totally separate wire from the battery. I also put the wire on the opposite side of the main harness to keep down any interference.<br /><br />After all this, it now works like a charm.<br /><br />H.

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Transponder location

Thanks Homerr, but my problem isn't electical. It works fine when idling or stopped. The transducer has a small paddle wheel for measuring speed and I'm sure the water action causes it to be erratic. Ron