Transom saver question.

Dave Brick

Seaman
I bought a transom saver last year. My trailer carries the prop a bit too low for my liking.

On the first trip, the cast aluminum part of the transom saver, that cradles the outboard, just fell apart. Shattered. Unrepairable.

It was an "over the roller" type, and seemed to fit pretty well. I'm not sure why this happened. I had the motor bungied to the saver, but I didn't have the roller end bungied on.

I'm thinking there must have been too much play/vibration in the system. I'm thinking about getting another brand, and tensioning the motor to the trailer with ratcheting straps.

The motor is a 60 hp evinrude WITHOUT power trim/tilt, so just the weight of the motor was holding the saver in place. Any ideas? Does my thought process sound correct?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Transom saver question.

Transom savers are usually intended for motors with power tilt & trim, IIRC. That may be part of your problem. Try putting bungies from the motor to the trailer to help keep the motor from bouncing up. You may be better off with a trailering bracket made for your outboard, if one is available.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I'd say there must have been too much bounce because the over-the-roller end wasn't bungied to the roller. OB must have bounced up, come down, and split the thing like a wedge in a log.

Dave Brick

Seaman

Thanks you guys...I was wondering if anybody has seen this happen before, and if tensioning with ratcheting straps seems like a sensible solution.

Seems sensible to me.

NYBo

Admiral

Thanks you guys...I was wondering if anybody has seen this happen before, and if tensioning with ratcheting straps seems like a sensible solution.

Seems sensible to me.
That would be better than bungies as long as you don't overdo it.