transom on aluminum boat

chef master

Cadet
2 questions

1 how do i attach the wood plywood transom to the inside skin of the aluminum its a 16ft areocraft fishmaster its like a starcraft fishmaster do i glue it or epoxy it to the aluminum there are no bolts that keep it on like the smaller boats out there and its between the outer aluminum skin and the splash well, theres enough room under the splashwell for my tank batterys ect.

2 whats a gunnel? is it on the splashwell

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: transom on aluminum boat

Theres no need to glue it in place. I know on the crestliner i had the bolts for the motor held it in place.

A gunnel is the top sides of the boat. They are usually about six inches wide and are what the dock clears and such are bolted to. Hope that makes sense.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

+1 for not gluing it, a couple stainless steel bolts are all you need. Over the winter I replaced the transom in my 15' runabout, and its held in place by a bunch of bolts.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

It is spelled gunwale. Leftover from when ships were wood and men were iron (fiberglass, aluminum?)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

2 whats a gunnel? is it on the splashwell

In case you're interested in the actual definition from the old maritime days...
Gunwales: The upper edge of a ship's side; in large vessels, the uppermost planking, which covers the timber-heads and reaches from the quarter-deck to the forecastle on either side; in small craft, a piece of timber extending round the top side of the hull.