Transmission gear selection

Mornin' Folks,<br /><br />This question has remained un-answered to my satisfaction. When pulling your boat out of the water, what gear is best. Seasoned boaters around here suggest first. Tranny people say first or third and folks from "other" states suggest second. In your humble opinion(s), what do you suggest. I have an 2001 Blazer, not that that's <br />a point of importance since any vehicle benefits from good care at the ramp.<br />Hope this doesn't seem to basic a question, but<br />I'd like another set of views. <br />Thanks for any advice.<br /><br />The Rat

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transmission gear selection

I'll take a stab at this...<br /><br />First, what's your owner's manual say? I know, not many people read these, but somewhere in there it should list what the various selections are for.<br /><br />All other things being equal, my understanding of "1" vs "2" vs "3" vs "D" vs "D-overdrive" is that these basically 'force' the transmission into the range selected. If you place it in "1", you're forcing the trans to stay in 1st gear (until something else takes over and either limits the RPMs, or kicks it into 2nd gear). If you place it in "D" (or D-overdrive), the logic (either mechanical or computer) will determine what's best for the load and engine speed. <br /><br />I think a lot depends on the size/weight of the boat, the size/weight/condition of the tow vehicle, the ramp condition, the ramp slope, the weather, etc. If you've got a decent ramp, the boat is appropriate for the tow vehicle, the tow vehicle is mechanically OK, (and whatever other variables might come into play), I'd say you just use "D" - it's going to start in 1st gear anyway.<br /><br />There's a world of difference between using a 1-ton 4WD pickup to pull a 14' aluminum fishing boat out on a gentle sloping concrete ramp, and using a small RWD pickup to pull a 22' cabin cruiser out on a steep gravel ramp.<br /><br />Read your owner's manual

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I'll give it another outlook.<br /><br />Automatic- It doesn't matter what you put it into, its still gonna be in first until the governer decides its time to shift to second, usually somewhere around 15-20 mph. Your torque convertor is not gonna lock at that low of a speed so even the OD position should be just fine.<br /><br />Standard shift- This one has more variables. You should use first for the torque multiplication, it will give you the "umphh" to get out of the hole. However, if the ramp is muddy/slimy you CAN try second to take away some of the torque thereby decreasing chance of wheelspin. <br /><br />Did that provide a satisfactory awnser?

Bondo

Staff member

I'm with these Guys........<br />Use Any gear but "R"......

Thanks for the replys.<br />Ed F, your philosophy is the same as mine. But my owners manual doesn't address since GM doesn't want to accept liability. No suprise there. That's why salesmen are available to tell us the wrong answer.<br />I always used 1st or 3rd. But there is a strong feeling by some to only have it in 2nd regardless of the ramp or other variable conditions. Tranny folks around here don't seem to have a care. Maybe they just want me to bring it to them after I've burned it up.<br />The "why in second only" has me curious.<br />Thanks again for your input.<br /><br />Rat

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

It looks like both Kenneth and I are on the same page. I've never come out of 1st gear when retreiving, so what's the difference if I place it in "D", or "2", or "1" - it will still start in 1.<br /><br />The only caveat is similar to Kenneth's - I know that some GM products have a "traction" button, that forces the vehicle to start in 2nd gear (to lessen wheelspin).<br /><br />As for your worry about the tranny folks - think of it this way. Let's say you drive a big SUV (one that can hold 6-8 adults plus gear), and you're pulling away from a light. Don't you think that 1400-2000# load is similar to your boat, and would you even think of putting it into "1" or "2"?<br /><br />Like Bondo sez - anything but "R"

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree the post above, I've been pulling atv's, campers, boats and use the same shift pos normal D with OD on. When pulling out of the dock it doesn't matter, 1st is first no matter where the shifter is placed. If you leave it in 2nd, 3rd, D, OD it's not going to shift until speed/rpm ... tell it to shift. Maybe if you put it into 4 low will you see something different. I've yet see someone come out of the dock doing 20. Now if your on the road this can be a different story. You don't want your tranny continuously shifting, this is where you will want to keep it out of OD.<br /><br />SingleShot

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

with an auto tranny..it doesnt really matter..however some of the older autos yyou can "lock" them into a gear....i had an 81 bronco f/s 4wd with a c-6 auto that was taht away..you could selct what gear you wanted and it would stay as long as you wanted to, but it had a rev limiter that prevented over-reving...

Gone Again

Cadet

I always thought as most others-the tranny stays in low all the way out so what's the difference. I recently asked a well respected GM tranny man-who works for GM-and has rebuilt many for my own shop-this very question. He says that the pressure is greater when the selector lever is put in low or 1, so the pulling power is greater and it's somewhat easier on the trans. You can take this for what its worth, but it sure can't hurt.

D

DJ

St. Johns,<br /><br />Different auto makers have different sttrategies in the transmissions.<br /><br />You cannot harm it by putting it into the "normal" driving position. This will assure a first gear take off.<br /><br />By shifting to second or third, some transmissions lock the trans in that gear. When that is done, the transmission loses torque multiplication.

n0ukf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rat, I'm a little confused by one of the listed choices. Why "1 or 3" instead of "1 or 2"?<br /><br />When my brother was helping me take a boat out with his v6 4x4 Dakota with manual shift, he stalled it a couple times in first and decided to put it in 4-low. He didn't even have to touch the throttle to crawl out. When using my Trooper with AT, I lock the hubs and put it in 4wd for the traction.<br />BTW, the shift points aren't only dependent on speed and RPM but also on throttle position, usually another cable going from the carb to the tranny (why else would it downshift when you floor it?).

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I tow with a 4.0 sohc v6 Explorer, my owners manual has a towing guide, it states that when retrieving or launching that vehicle should have tranfer case locked into 4 low and use low 1 when pulling up ramp, The reason for this is my truck has automatic 4wd, which means the the tranfer case cannot be truely unlocked, But rather becomes a traction control when in auto 4wd mode, so if the case iso not locked when pulling up ramp, it is possible to start spinning rear wheels if traction is lost for a short moment before front wheels kick in, with a heavy load from a standstill and uphill it is possible to damage the axel shaft spline up front. I always lock into 4x4 low and use low 1 until I reach top of ramp then I shift back to 4wd auto, This is the info I got from fords own towing guide I would think that GM has a similar guide, check with your local dealer.

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I have been thur this and I will tell you my tranny guy took me to the ramp and showed me how to do this.<br />First I blew the tranny and all pulling out my boat! After $600 bucks to replace the clutch I just went back and did it again!! 4 days later. <br /><br />This is what he had me do. 1 Always go to first gear. 2nd always put it in 4X4 Low and take your foot off the clutch as fast as you can with out poping it. And go up the ramp at a slow even pace. <br /><br />That was 4 years ago and I am still on that same clutch!! And I have a 1975 Wellcraft V20 that ways in at 3000 #'s!!<br /><br />Good luck