Tracker hull damage. Lots of it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My new to me 04 Tracker pro guide v16 has hit more than a few rocks in it's 8 year life, and I bought this thing knowing that it has some hull damage, but what I discovered when I took off the previous owners crappy patch work are some serious cracks. I've also discovered some small cracks that line up with the stringers that I didn't see when I bought the boat last week. It could be from my long trailer ride in sub freezing temps? Maybe from me walking on the stringers during my deck fix? In all I would say I have 6 or 7 cracks in this hull that are anywhere from 1 inch long to 4 inches long. There are also a couple that spider.

I've done a lot of reading through the various forums, and am really hoping that this hull can be salvaged...at least patched with something?

Here's horrible crack #1
895eabf0.jpg

...and nasty crack / slash #2
5dd58b1a.jpg

...then I've got a few of these
c57573df.jpg

I cant get to most of the cracks from inside the boat...well I shouldn't say cant, but it would require cutting out a plate that's welded in the center of the hull covering the foam.

Can this be patched from the outside and still be a safe boat that floats?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Tracker hull damage. Lots of it!!

Welding is the best option and you are going to need to remove the foam.

You have far too much damage to try to patch and even if you do patch it with aluminum and rivets you need to seal it from the inside as well.

You have some work ahead and need to pull decking and foam.

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it too late to ask him to buy his boat back? Thats a bit rude to dump that on someone else.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

no need to pull anything apart... that is SUPER easy to patch as long as you don't mind the patches being visible.... I have fixed FAR worse. You NEED to find the end of EVERY crack and drill a hole at each end to kill the cracks so that they don't grow... next get 100 or so closed end pop rivets (fastenal or elsewhere) and some aluminum sheet. Cut your patches to cover all of the cracks. Next drill a couple of pilot holes through each patch and the hull. Rivets can be inserted to hold the patch stationary while drilling another hole. Remove and coat the patch and CLEAN hull with 5200. Replace and rivet in place. drill and rivet about every 1/4" around the perimeter of the patch. The finished repair will be as strong as or stronger than the rest of the hull.

captainmont

Seaman Apprentice

Great example of two different tactics huh?

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it too late to ask him to buy his boat back? Thats a bit rude to dump that on someone else.

A bit naive on my part really. I made a quick buying decision while visiting relatives

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the responses!!...Obviously if this CAN be repaired without cutting through this welded floor panel (as seen in this pic), then that's the option I would want to take.

38227d75.jpg

Smoke, what thickness aluminum plate would you use? What grab range rivets? When you say "rivets inserted to hold, then remove" Are you inserting some rivets, then drilling them out? In this case wouldn't it be easier to use some screws to hold the plate in place?

If a steel brush is not to be used to clean the hull, then what do you all use?

Bob, assuming I'm able to get the plate off...and some of the small cracks are actually accessible from the inside , what would you use to seal from the inside. JB weld? Gulvit? I picked up some of this starbrite putty http://www.iboats.com/Star-Brite-Emergency-Repair-Epoxy-Aluminum-Putty-Stick/dm/view_id.39999 , but I cant find any reviews on it anywhere. The guy at Hamilton Marine where I purchased said people have used it to fix holes in hulls, but this came from the sales person...

Can those small cracks be drilled and patched with JB weld or something similar, or am I talking about 6+ separate full on patch jobs?

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you do use closed end rivets just make sure they are an aluminum/aluminum insert rivet, wont corrode

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I have hope!! That tracker is going to be just fine. I absolutely LOVE aluminum hulls, and would take them over fiberglass in a heartbeat. I have reveted patches before, but honestly at $80 an hour, I would get it welded. My welder could patch up one of those holes in 15 minutes or less. Pull foam and buy some fresh pour in.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If you decide to patch, butter the back of each patch with a generous amount of Loc-tite Marine epoxy... it's much stronger than the 5200.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-hardware/hand-tools/loctite/0-85-fl-oz-marine-epoxy-115193.html

Use closed end blind rivets, these will not leak and form a water and vapor proof seal when set. They're used in both boat and aircraft construction.

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

I suggest the aluminum rivet with the steel mandrel because thay are the strongest, just dab a bit of epoxy over the mandrel hole to protect the steel ball after the rivet is set.

I suggest the .126-.250 grip range.

Your patch material should be at least .06-1.0 thickness, looks like you need to make another trip to the salvage yard.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if you aren't going to weld, then a steel brush will be fine.... epoxy is stronger than 5200 but the strength is in the rivets and the patch... the 5200 is flexible and will not ever leak is applied to clean metal. I would not use a raw steel mandrel.... aluminum or stainless only.

as for grip range, depends on the total thickness of your hull and patch. If you have to got through a stringer it will need to be thicker..

on temporary holding, my point was to drill one hole, and slip in a rivet without using the rivet gun and then drill a second hole.... this just gives you two points to line up the patch quickly. Then after applying the 5200 you can 'pop' them and start drilling/riveting all around.

The last repair I did this way was a 20' canoe belonging to a friend that had been nearly ripped in half in a storm and then later trampled by horses.... I spent 2 days working it with hammers and patching it together..... It never was pretty but it ended up VERY strong, and didn't leak a drop.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

The last repair I did this way was a 20' canoe belonging to a friend that had been nearly ripped in half in a storm and then later trampled by horses.... I spent 2 days working it with hammers and patching it together..... It never was pretty but it ended up VERY strong, and didn't leak a drop.

Wow!! Poor little canoe. :(

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

ALSO, keep in mind that this is not really a structural repair, if you simply killed the cracks with drilled holes and slathered it with 5200, it would likely be fine for decades. The aluminum plating repair will be nearly bombproof.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, back to "metals plus". Oddly enough, I don't mind doing this kind of thing as long as I'm not wasting my time, or anybody else on this site's time for that matter, and I really appreciate the help I get here.

Should I prep the surface with anything first, or just clean it up with some water and vinegar? Is there any point to putting some epoxy putty, or jb weld into the cracks prior to patching?

Unfortunately I wont be able to get started on this project until Friday, as I'll be away for work for the next 3 days. I think I'll start by locating all the cracks and drill the ends to stop the bleeding. Any particular size drill bit?

Jig, when you mention the steel mandrel rivets, have you had any corrosion issues using steel next to aluminum?

How much larger should my aluminum patches be versus the damaged area that I'm covering?

Sorry for all my questions, as I'm sure they've been covered in previous threads.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Prep the hull and back of the patch with a wire cup brush in a drill or angle grinder, wipe clean with acetone.

I haven't had any corrosion problems with the steel mandrel rivets, the body is made out of aluminum and it's only the spike and ball that are made out of steel. As I mentioned earlier, just dab a bit of epoxy over the hole in the rivet and the steel ball that is left behind after the spike is pulled out will be protected.

It looks like a 4" square patch should work on the cracks with the quarter for size comparison.

I still recommend the epoxy for it's strength and because it will hold both sides of the crack and keep it from flexing. If you want to dab some epoxy on the crack just before you set the patch it will be ok, just make sure you butter the patch up real good with epoxy.

Cut your patch and drill it in place on the hull after prepping the surfaces, deburr all of your holes on the hull and patch then butter your patch with epoxy and rivet.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on temporary holding, my point was to drill one hole, and slip in a rivet without using the rivet gun and then drill a second hole.... this just gives you two points to line up the patch quickly. Then after applying the 5200 you can 'pop' them and start drilling/riveting all around.

Got it...

Now I just have to decide whether to go with 5200 or the epoxy...

If the epoxy has no flex, then would it not crack if pounded on? I've worked with 5200 lots. Nasty stuff, and it certainly bonds to anything it comes in contact with.

She wont be a pretty boat when I'm done...below the waterline...but I'll be happy if it's sealed up good and doesn't take in water.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

After looking at your pic's it appears that all the damage was impact damage and there was some extrusion on all but the last one. The prior owner got in there and beat it back out pretty well. It's hard to really tell from the pic's. I'd really like to see you get that welded up as a permanent fix. Tracker used 5000 and 6000 series Aluminum in these boats and it welds very nicely. The only concern I'd have is if the prior owner put heat on it to get it back into shape. That's O.K. to do as long as you watch the temps and don't cold temper it. I don't think he did because there seems to be some overlap from the extrusion caused by the impact. If he'd heated it up it would have shrunk most of that out. That's just what aluminum does.

The patching method is o.k. and might outlast you but you just never know. It's one of those things where it's not if it will fail but when.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Got it...

Now I just have to decide whether to go with 5200 or the epoxy...

If the epoxy has no flex, then would it not crack if pounded on?

The marine epoxy does have flex, they took this into consideration when they engineered it for boats, this is not a brittle epoxy... this is some very tough stuff! Buy a tube of it and play with it a little before you dismiss it.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After looking at your pic's it appears that all the damage was impact damage and there was some extrusion on all but the last one. The prior owner got in there and beat it back out pretty well. It's hard to really tell from the pic's. I'd really like to see you get that welded up as a permanent fix. Tracker used 5000 and 6000 series Aluminum in these boats and it welds very nicely. The only concern I'd have is if the prior owner put heat on it to get it back into shape. That's O.K. to do as long as you watch the temps and don't cold temper it. I don't think he did because there seems to be some overlap from the extrusion caused by the impact. If he'd heated it up it would have shrunk most of that out. That's just what aluminum does.

The patching method is o.k. and might outlast you but you just never know. It's one of those things where it's not if it will fail but when.

Yes, it's all impact damage, and it appears that heat has been applied to certain areas of the hull from as you can see in this pic here, although this is not where any of the current damage is.

7f6e4681.jpg

The bottom of the hull is a field of gently rolling hills...I cant even imagine what kind of damage would have been done to a glass boat!

885eea89.jpg

Stumped now. I don't have time to do a project that is destined to fail, however, unless I do a really half assed job, I see no reason why it would fail...in the near future anyway.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Stumped now. I don't have time to do a project that is destined to fail, however, unless I do a really half assed job, I see no reason why it would fail...in the near future anyway.

I'm certain you'll be good to go when the boat is fixed and it's just doesn't look/sound like it's all that involved to me.

Get 'er patched up and do a leak test afterwards. Fill your bilge with the garden hose and check for more leaks and to make sure your patches are good. There may be a small crack that you haven't seen or a screw hole somewhere you may have missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.