Towables

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My kids want to get a towable they can ride on behind my 15' Avon SIB. I'm not sure what size of towable to get or even if it's a good idea to put extra stress on the transom. Any advice? My kids have found a large used (2-3 person) towable for $100.

My boat has a 40HP motor and runs about 25 mph with a full load. I can attach the tow rope to the transom or to a bridle attached to the tubes (I think the latter would be better to distribute the load across the boat).

Thanks for any feedback.

Jon

86 century

Ensign
Re: Towables

The large two or three person drag realy hard.
Our monster two man would stop the old boat(140mercruiser 19' bowrider)if it fliped over.
If your transome is in good shape I dont forsee any problems it holds the eng forces.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought two large d-ring patches an attached them to the rear of my tubes just for that reason. Works pretty good.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I connect a bridle up to the lifting/tie down rings on the transom. I can tow a 2 person tube with some larger people on it with 2-3 people in my 16' RIB on 40Hp with no problems. The only thing is that this setup causes the tow rope to ride very close to the water. Going straight is fine, but in turns the rope can get "caught" in the water as the tube swings out. This can interfere with those fast swings of the tube to the outside of the turn that people find exciting. A higher tow point would help with this.

MercMe

Seaman Apprentice

Why is that Jacoboregon? My girlfriends dad's is much like this one I found on ebay pylon.JPG. We have been using it for years without a single problem. Just wondering if you know something I should??

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are a couple of reasons for not attaching a towed inflatable to a pylon. First off, most of the products have a warning label and towing with a tower or pylon are listed as non acceptable uses. Some lakes and bays also prohibit this use. It tends to attract the authorities attention. So, for me, I don't need the hassle and I tow off a bridle.

The theory behind this is the difference between a skier and a towed inflatable. A skier falls, even if he holds on tight the load that he can handle before releasing is less than the structural capacity of the tower or pylon. A ring can dig in and load up and it will exert a much larger stress than a rider because it is a fixed attachment. Never happened while I've been towed, but it does occur. My local Harbor patrol also disapproves because of the greater chance of catching air (which I always thought was fun).

On many lakes and bays you are required to have a manual release inline that can be operated by the riders. This is so they can drop off if the speed or conditions warrant, just like a skier has control. I don't have one and haven't gotten a ticket yet. But it is worth checking your local regs.

Crazy whips and white knuckle rides on the donut are runs I make away from supervision. Anything fun is now considered too risky.

I foil and wakeboard with a short pylon. Most of the load goes to the transom mounted supports. I tow with a bridle to the transom too. The outboard is pushing this solid fixed surface. It handles loads better than your tubes! D rings on your tubes will exert a lot more stress on the tubes and this isn't a good thing IMHO.

Have fun!

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why is that Jacoboregon? My girlfriends dad's is much like this one I found on ebay View attachment 124423. We have been using it for years without a single problem. Just wondering if you know something I should??

This particular tower is different than the one in the link of your previous post, if I looked at it right.
If it attaches to the transom AND the floor it would most likely be okay, but if it attaches mainly to the floor you run the risk of breaking the floor or pulling it free with that much force being applied (especially if they wipe out and don't let go right away). I've seen floor boards come loose on a couple of situations with upward force being applied to the floor and hitting a wave. One time, a guy almost lost a toe!

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

.... D rings on your tubes will exert a lot more stress on the tubes and this isn't a good thing IMHO.

Have fun!

I understand your concern, but a properly applied D-ring patch with a large base spreads the force out over a large area. The D-rings I have are rated at 450lbs each and will fail long before the tube fabric will. Now, I wouldn't use them without the tubes being properly and fully inflated.

Probably the best set up would be a tower or rack/arch that attaches both to the transom and the floor. That would spread the load out more. I plan on making one eventually out of stainless steel or heavy-walled aluminum tube and using it for a fishing rod rack as well.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jacoboregon,
Lots of ways to do everything. Pulling a tube certainly is not the same as a hole shot start on a wakeboard or hydrofoil. But I can tell you from experience that it isn't the d ring or the fabric that suffers when towing from your tubes, it's the transom joint seams. Of course I'm running an ancient 99 futura so it is in my interests to reduce the stress on the tubes and direct it to the solid transom itself.

I would point out that a pole extension or tower of too much height is unsafe on an inflatable towing more active sports riders. With low displacement, a hard cut and the boat going over other wakes you could actually find the boat being much less stable due to the leverage. That is why I run with a short pole. Not an issue with a donut, but something to be aware of.

I am attaching three photos of my install. I have an aluminum crossing plate on my floor section that extends to the sides. It attaches to backing plates in the hollow floor that extend to the very edge. This way they are essentially captured by the side rails and become part of the most rigid aspect of the sectional floor design. The mounting base would otherwise be attached to the thin top sheet and they do deform and flex.

The rear supports are where the majority of the stress goes, in direct opposition to forward thrust of the outboard. That leaves the tubes just cruising along for the ride.

It isn't easy to see, but the pole is raked forward according to the manufacturers instructions. This reduces the pulling up on the floor load that would be significant with a truly vertical pole.

This may be overkill, but I ride the heck out of this and it is a stable and proven system. Not the only solution, but I toss it out there for your consideration.

backingplates.jpg
crossplate.jpg
pole.jpg

Check out a video from my October trip to Lake Powell.
http://youtu.be/Q7RMJCbM4PA

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jacoboregon,
Lots of ways to do everything. Pulling a tube certainly is not the same as a hole shot start on a wakeboard or hydrofoil. But I can tell you from experience that it isn't the d ring or the fabric that suffers when towing from your tubes, it's the transom joint seams. Of course I'm running an ancient 99 futura so it is in my interests to reduce the stress on the tubes and direct it to the solid transom itself.

I would point out that a pole extension or tower of too much height is unsafe on an inflatable towing more active sports riders. With low displacement, a hard cut and the boat going over other wakes you could actually find the boat being much less stable due to the leverage. That is why I run with a short pole. Not an issue with a donut, but something to be aware of.

I am attaching three photos of my install. I have an aluminum crossing plate on my floor section that extends to the sides. It attaches to backing plates in the hollow floor that extend to the very edge. This way they are essentially captured by the side rails and become part of the most rigid aspect of the sectional floor design. The mounting base would otherwise be attached to the thin top sheet and they do deform and flex.

The rear supports are where the majority of the stress goes, in direct opposition to forward thrust of the outboard. That leaves the tubes just cruising along for the ride.

It isn't easy to see, but the pole is raked forward according to the manufacturers instructions. This reduces the pulling up on the floor load that would be significant with a truly vertical pole.

This may be overkill, but I ride the heck out of this and it is a stable and proven system. Not the only solution, but I toss it out there for your consideration.

View attachment 124675
View attachment 124676
View attachment 124677

Check out a video from my October trip to Lake Powell.
http://youtu.be/Q7RMJCbM4PA

That is a very nice, solid looking system. It looks like the floor/transom attaching points are quick disconnect slots/pins. Is that so?

I do agree that the best system is one that attaches to the floor and transom, but for general pulling of a tube with kids my D-rings are fine. When they get bigger and want faster I'll need to go to a more secure and stout system.

I also agree about the forward angle vs. straight up and down, which is what mercme's initial pic looked like to me.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes the pole installs to plastic bases with quick disconnect pins. Really nice to be able to remove the pole when we aren't riding.

Glad to see there are others out there taking full advantage of their inflatable! I get "knowledgable" people telling me we can't wakeboard, foil or tube behind such a "small boat with an outboard like that" as we pull up to the dock after riding around for most of the day. Yeah, I guess not?

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes the pole installs to plastic bases with quick disconnect pins. Really nice to be able to remove the pole when we aren't riding.

Glad to see there are others out there taking full advantage of their inflatable! I get "knowledgable" people telling me we can't wakeboard, foil or tube behind such a "small boat with an outboard like that" as we pull up to the dock after riding around for most of the day. Yeah, I guess not?

Absolutely, no reason not to enjoy the full spectrum these boats provide! Many people think of them as low cost compromises to "real" boating and don't have a clue as to their abilities.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Jon!

With probably close to 1,500 hours at the helm of a competition boat I have seen and done plenty of stupid tubing mistakes. One of the biggest ones is NEVER let two people get on a tube at the same time, unless they are both wearing helmets. I have knocked my head hard against a friends and had other people do the same. It took us twice before we quite doing two at a time for safety reasons, unless we were towing little kids at 5 mph.

A tube for only one person can be smaller which takes less time to inflate and less room to store. Hey aren't your kids kinda big for tubes? They should be wakeboarding! Of course skaters tend to like wakeskating. I prefer big air and want to be locked onto the board. Well at least before I shattered my knee. Overton's and the like have plenty of tubes for under $60.

As stated above the best attachment point is going to be the transom. I built a bridle for my Zodiac. The stainless links came from Home Depot, the rope I already had, and the float came from West Marine for $4.99. Actually you can buy the bridles pretty cheap, but I doubt it uses stainless hardware for saltwater use.
http://www.boat-fix.com/shop3/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4795

Myself I am not into letting someone else determine my fate, but what a hoot unleashing 300+hp (I used to have a Nautique) and sending an unsuspecting tuber 10+ feet in the air off a triple up. Don't ever say to the boat driver, "You can't get me off the tube". So far I have always launched them sky high.

On that note, please do be careful. In the past I have worked with a professional witness, shooting video for them because of someone who lost an eye when the rope broke. Plus my friend blew his ear drum upon landing wrong. Says the guy who blew his left ear drum 4 times wakeboarding. It can affect my diving and pretty much stops me from free diving. I started wearing a helmet a long time ago while wakeboarding, and haven't blown an ear drum since.

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the advice guys. The kids haven't mentioned the towable again so I'm letting it lie for now. Maybe I'll revisit it next spring/summer.

As for safety, Peter, I hear you. We had a near incident at Catalina this summer when a young jetski rider took off at full throttle without realizing that he was tethered to a large tube. The 3-4 kids lounging on it were tossed high into the air. Fortunately there were no injuries.

Great video from Powell, Kelson -- I'm looking forward to getting back there for another camping trip.