Tow Vehicle for Grady 24' Offshore

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I am looking at a '84 24' Grady White Offshore with a 5.7L I/O. I believe the weight of the boat and motor is ~5000#. With the trailer maybe ~6500#? I don't know how much a trailer weights.....<br /><br />I presently own a '96 1500 series Suburban. Is this enough of a vehicle to tow and launch this vessel?

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Re: Tow Vehicle for Grady 24' Offshore

I can always depend on you bondo..........<br /><br />If I can work out the details on my dockspace I am probably going to go for it......<br /><br />I will need to purchase a trailer......how much $ should I plan for here?

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by FreeBeeTony:<br />I presently own a '96 1500 series Suburban. Is this enough of a vehicle to tow and launch this vessel?
It'll be Plenty of Truck to get that Beautiful Grady to Your driveway................... :D <br /><br />Launch,+ Retreive will depend on the Ramp........<br /><br />Just Go Buy It,......... Then work out the Details................ :D

Bondo

Staff member

$500. to $1500. Depending on How Well Used you want...............<br />I Think you can hunt down Brand New 1s for $1800. to $2500..........<br /><br />I Always buy My trailers with Junk Boats sitting on them....... Cheaper that way................... :D <br />Well,.......Except for the 1 I got from the Hippie Commune up in Vermont last summer.........<br />That Little Tandem I Grabbed for $250....... It came with All the scrap Angle Iron I could stack on it,... They wanted the barnyard Cleaned,+ I Wanted the Steel.........Sold it After Paint for $800.......

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I think I would need a tandem axel........don't you?<br /><br />I thought the specs for the 1500 Burb were around 5000# max.........was hoping I was wrong.....

Bondo

Staff member

I think I would need a tandem axel........don't you?
Ohh Yaa,..........<br />And, A Rather Stout 1 at That..........With Brakes................<br /><br />I have No Idea what a 1/2 ton Chevy will pull.........<br />Like I said,..... Up the Ramp will be Your Big Issue............2X or 4x4 ??

QC

Supreme Mariner

I beleive your truck is rated for around 7500#. Not positive, but I had a '96 1500 Suburban and the vehicle that it replaced was rated for 5000# and I know I drastically improved on that. Very good tow vehicle. The only problem I ever had with that truck was the alternator. It didn't like running two ACs and an aftermarket VCR TV combo thing. :eek: <br /><br />I had a friend that towed a 23' Maxum with his '97 4x4 1500 and although it was safe it did seem slightly overmatched . . .

FreeBeeTony

Captain

it's 4x4..........hope I could get up the ramp...... :) <br /><br />Are we worried about traction here?<br /><br />I wouldn't be traveling far.......the ramp is only 2 miles away and I would only be using it twice a year.......once to put it in and once to take it out!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My 1500 pickup will tow 8100. Has the tow package and the 5.3 (300hp). <br /><br />Wish I had 4WD though. Pulled my boat out at low tide Thursday, or I should say tried to. Would make it up about 4 feet then spin both rears. Had to tie a doubled up rope from my front tow hook to the hitch on my dad's 4X4 sonoma and have him pull me up the ramp with the boat behind me. Plenty of power but all I kept doing was locking the rear and spinning both tires.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thats problably one of the best tow vehicles you can get from the mid 90's. Usually rated at 8,000 lbs double check at the chevy dealer, have the vin # ready. Have fun it should pull that fine.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the 4x4 thing will help with ramp traction . . . a lot! Use low range on the ramp and you should have absolutely zero issues with that side of the equation.<br /><br />The combination of the 2 mile tow, the frequency and the 4x4 and I believe this should work just fine.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1999 suburban 1500 5.7(350 vortec) and in the owners manual you tow capacity is dictated by your rearend gears on the half ton. With 3.08 and 3.42 it is rated at 5K with 3.73 6.5k <br />These ratings a for the 4x4. <br />My boat trailer and all gear is right at 4900 and it has no problems towing. I take the boat to Idaho every year. I am up to 115k on the truck and about the only time I use it is when the boat is hitched up.<br />Good luck

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I have the 5.7L tahoe rated to tow 7400# and my rig is about 6300# fully loaded. I use "3" and not overdrive since traffic allows me to go only 40 to 45mp. And the truck runs better and more gas efficient, even better when not using the tow/haul mode. Just found that out last weekend. On the ramp, I use 2 and 4-Hi. Moves the boat and trailer up the ramp with ease. I worry more about the winch cable breaking when retrieving... <br /><br />Also make sure that your Sub's receiver, ball and the rest are rated for this weight.

I am looking at a '84 24' Grady White Offshore with a 5.7L I/O. I believe the weight of the boat and motor is ~5000#. With the trailer maybe ~6500#? I don't know how much a trailer weights.....<br /><br />I presently own a '96 1500 series Suburban. Is this enough of a vehicle to tow and launch this vessel?
As long as tank is empty and ramp is normal incline you’ll be fine. Just don’t get tires wet. You want a 2500 or better if it might rain and ramp is steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.