Top Three Boats

cole1340

Seaman Apprentice
In your opinion; what are the three best boat manufactures.<br /><br />1.Boston Whaler<br />2.Grady White<br />3.WellCraft

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Top Three Boats

In my opinion the one's you mention are among the top, I would also add Searay & for bigger boats Tiara,Cabo,Viking,Pursuit. But a lot depends on you'r wallet, how long do you keep the boat & how are u going to use it. Look at my post BOAT RATINGS I don't agree with at least 8 of the top 20. In my marina there are 145 boats 40 people sleep on them for 4+ day weekends, they also fish and cruise, sometimes overnite.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess it depends on what "best" means, Cole.<br /><br />If "best" means quality, we don't disagree enough to mention.<br /><br />If "best" means popular, you have to include (Gawd!! this hurts)Bayliner.<br /><br />If "best" means value for the buck you might need to include Carolina Skiff.<br /><br />For, ME, of course, it's Whaler. Period.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :) <br /><br />P.S. BTW, this forum is for stuff that has "Nothing to do with Boats".

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess it depends on what "best" means, Cole.<br /><br />If "best" means quality, we don't disagree enough to mention.<br /><br />If "best" means popular, you have to include (Gawd!! this hurts)Bayliner.<br /><br />If "best" means value for the buck you might need to include Carolina Skiff.<br /><br />For, ME, of course, it's Whaler. Period.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :) <br /><br />P.S. BTW, this forum is for stuff that has "Nothing to do with Boats".

its-a-sweater

Seaman

I think you have to rate by type. Center console, runabout, weekender, yacht, sportfisherman, the list type goes on forever.<br /><br />For example you can't say that Fountain or Hallett make lousy boats simply because they don't make a bass boat. Likewise, Boston Whaler doesn't make big deep-v tri engine superboats, or fish blistering bass boats either.<br /><br />Pick a class and go from there.

cole1340

Seaman Apprentice

OK Folks, How about favorite brand of any type of boat based on your expirience. I am giving alot of thought on buying a new boat and I want to try a different angle in helping me decide.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Cole. What do you want to use the boat for? If you already had a Grady, in my opinion a great boat. Stick with that or a comparable make.

bamaboy473

Recruit

First post and glad to be aboard!! I am looking at an Egg Harbor 37 Sedan Sport and don't know enough about Egg Harbors. Would some members care to compare that brand to the car world (i.e. an EH is similar to a Buick, Cadillac, Mercedes??) The boat is almost 20 years old, twin diesels, and would be used around the Bay and for short trips into the Gulf. Thanks, all.

cole1340

Seaman Apprentice

Oops, I am sorry.<br />I posted this in the wrong forum. Too much coffee I think. I will readdress this subject in the Boating forum.

D

DJ

Bamaboy,<br /><br />Egg's are good boats. I would place them in the upper 1/3.<br /><br />Have a reputable surveyor check ou the boat thoroughly. It's a well spent couple of hundred bucks. Just like having a house inspected.<br /><br />I'd be more concerned about the diesels. That's where you can spend big bucks in a hurry.<br /><br />If it has Detroits I would be hesitant. They're thirsty, leak oil, and noisy. Particularly troublesome are the "V" series Detroits whether they be 71's or 92's.<br />The in-line 71's were the most durable of the bunch. The 53's were OK in an in-line configuration, 4-53's.<br /><br /><br />My favorites in a boat that size are Cat 3208 T's and Cat 3116's.<br /><br />Cummins "C" series are OK. Stay away from the Cummins "B"'s.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

bamaboy - I live about 20mi. from Egg, I often stop in just to shoot the breeze, and watch the craftsmen do their thing. Go to the site and look at the owners forum.The boats are very popular on the Jersey coast,probably because they are local.Thay definitally have a GREAT Rep.

bamaboy473

Recruit

Thanks a whole lot for the information about the different types (QC-wise) of diesels. I don't have any background in this and, with the big price differences between gas and diesel, I've been wondering whether it was worth it. I won't be using the boat that much and sure would rather add StaBil to the gas than have to bail algae out of the tanks...