Tools and safety equipment

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a boat and am restoring it and soon will be ready to splash it. I would like to know what you all think about what to store on the boat. As far as what is required I know i must have a life jacket for each passenger and a fire extinguisher what else is REQUIRED. Tools I would like to put together a tool box to store on the boat. Any suggestions for that. Pretty much i am asking what do most of you take out on your boat every time you drop in the lake. To add to it i will be on a lake, not ocean I have a 17 ft runabout. Just want to be prepared for the unexpected. Had a friend say make sure to add a Hydraulic jack to the tow vehicle, and a lug wrench(flat tire on the trailer cost him about a half a day at the lake) and double check the spare for air.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tools and safety equipment

Just Google USCG safety equipment.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Here is a useful link with more links to official regulations and helpful tips:
http://powerboat.about.com/od/boatingregulations/ss/FederalBoatLaw.htm
Here is a link for the Kentucky regulations:
http://www.fw.ky.gov/navigation.aspx?cid=102
Good luck!

I bring the required equipment, anchor with chain and line, radio, cell phone (in a waterproof bag), extra plug, extra light bulbs for nav lights, small tools (you can't really fix anything substantial on the water), tape, flares (even though not required for my size boat inland), flashlight, air horn, small first aid kit, compass, map of lake, handheld GPS and extra batteries. All this fits in a smallish waterproof box.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Scott, you can go to http://www.uscgboating.org/ and get all the info you need about safety equipment and find out info on safe boating course that can get you discounts on your insurance.

I take just some basic tools with me when I go out. A leatherman multi-tool does just about everything and is usually all you need to get a quick repair done and limp back to port. I carry extra fuzes, a 12 pack of double a batteries a mini mag light a 6v lantern, a roll of duct tape and some bailing wire. Before I go out for the first time in a season I buy a new 6v flash light. I have a fixed VHF radio but I also carry a fully charged portable VHF radio and I've made up a ditch bag. A first aid kit designed for boating is within easy reach at all times. I have two fire extinguishers one is mounted back by the engine and the other up front. The theory there that the fire is likely to be near the engine so if I can't get to the extinguisher I can sure get to the other one.

On a boat 16' or over, besides life jackets for everyone aboard you must also carry a throwable floatation device. A square floating cushion satisfies that. I also carry a 100', 10,000 lb truckers nylon rope just in case I need a tow. Hope that helps you and congrats on your restoration! The fun has just begun!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

This has been discussed countless times. Maybe it should be a sticky in the safety forum (ladyfish???).

The search function is your friend...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=138416&highlight=tool
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=342257&highlight=tool
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=238005&highlight=tool
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=402435&highlight=tool
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=481591&highlight=tool

Those should keep you busy. And you'll notice the answers range from "everything a marine supply house carries is in a box in my cabin", to nothing but a towing membership. I'm more on the towing membership end of the spectrum.

GatorMike

Ensign

I used to carry a big ole heavy tool box but I don't bother any more. There is nothing on my boat I can't fix with a phillips screw driver, a flat screw driver, an adjustable wrench a pair of wire cutting pliers, a piece of sandpaper and a roll of electrical tape. Any repairs that require more than that would require parts which you won't have anyway. Maybe some wd40 but I always have that in my tackle box anyway and a little motor oil will always work in a pinch.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

First thing first check the coast guard website for all regs that apply to your boat. After that you can ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers. Take what makes sense to you and you'll learn along the way what you need and what you don't. Once your out on the lake and need something you don't have you'll never forget it again. Congrats on the restore and enjoy the boat.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know with posters like you no wonder some people are afraid to post. I will i assure you I am not a moron. My profession is highly technical. This is my first opportunity to enjoy the water and i ask a question and i get the moron comment. The deference between a moron and a person that knows that they need to learn a little more before they start down a path, asks questions to make sure they know what they need to do. . I have no experiences at boating and that is what forums like this are here to help new boaters to learn.
You need a big "I'm a moran, and I don't know wtf I'm doing!!" flag. Just look it up.

Or maybe not. Just Google USCG safety equipment.

Whatever, just don't rely on safety equipment info from a website forum, even this one................

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

to all but JD thanks for the input some people have to be a smart ***** but i will add the things you have offered plus more

southkogs

Staff member

C'mon scotttn83, you live in The South ... all you need is a role of duct tape and some bailin' wire :D

The others have it pretty much covered. The only thing that I can add is that your first several times out, take an extra couple of gallons of gas in case you're not paying close enough attention. And take a little cash to offer to the kind folks who tow you in (if needed). They'll likely refuse the money, but it's polite to offer anyway - and remember when you tow someone else in later.

Other than that ... you'll adjust what you need and don't over the years.

Enjoy the boat, and c'mon down and visit us in TN. There are some great lakes down here.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Hey hey southkogs us yankees do some good duct tape repairs to lol. :)

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jumper cables, ropes or lines, extra motor oil, gear oil, spare engine belt, extra plug, extra skier flag (big orange square flag), anchors, fenders, paddles, first aid kit, whistle, air blast horn, extra fuses, zip ties, electrical tape, basic hand tools... wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, extra koozies, sun block, air pump that plugs in cigarette lighter, small ratchet strap to hold down an inflated tube. Hope that gives you some things to think about.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Seriously, if you're asking what safety equipment is required, take a boating class given by US Power Squadron, CG Auxiliary or local LE. You'll learn a lot.

In terms of the tools, spares and supplies to bring along, think about what repairs you could actually DO while you're rockin' on the water and equip the boat accordingly. There's more you could probably do at the ramp, so leave those things in the car. Buy towing insurance (it's really cheap) and you're set.

My .02

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again all I have talked to the coast guard aux at a boat show about classes. I need to find one in my area the guys i talked to were holding classes 100 miles away. I will definitely throw together a mix of the items you all have suggested.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Thanks again all I have talked to the coast guard aux at a boat show about classes. I need to find one in my area the guys i talked to were holding classes 100 miles away. I will definitely throw together a mix of the items you all have suggested.

Go here:

http://www.usps.org/e_stuff/public_ed.htm

Scroll down and click on 'Find a Local Course'

Turns out there's a Power Squadron chapter in Nicholasville:

For your ZIP: 40356 NICHOLASVILLE, KY
10 Closest Boating Courses within 20 miles

Distance:
0.0 Miles - America's Boating Course-8hr
Squadron: Bluegrass District: 24
Tom Woods
Phone: 859-269-2890
Email: tdwoods49@insightbb.com
City: Nicholasville, KY 40356

In case you haven't guessed, I'm a USPS member. I've completed courses in Basic Boating, Seamanship, Navigation and Marine electrical systems. It's a great organization, and boater education is the primary reason we exist.

Skiya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One thing I didn't see and that has really helped me is a Doppler Radar app. Those summer storms pop up and you really can't tell which way they are tracking until its to late. Navionics is also another good app and worth every penny.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Good point about the trailer stuff, especially since car jacks and lug wrenches are particular to the vehicle. Test your vehicle jack and see if it works; if not, I carry a bottle jack and small blocks of wood. I used ot keep the 4-way lug wrench in the bottom of the anchor locker so I'd never forget it.

Good suggestion on jumper cables. Put a spare key in the tool box. Thieves won't look there.

Rather than specifics, let me suggest strategy--bring small things that can be used to fix lots of things, like cable ties, lightweight rope, electric wire (both for jumping and for tying). Be sure you have ALL the fuses--there are some in an OB that are hidden.

Your most important strategies for safety is to be able to stay put and be seen. Unless you are in a super deep lake, thje anchor is more important than anything else, even PFDs. Next is the flares AND lights. SAR can see the smallest light from way up high now.

Your cell phone must reside at all times inside a closed floating watertight (not waterproof) holder for two reasons: 1 is you can grab it and jump overboard if you had to. 2 is that makes it too hard to answer annoying calls from shore and that's why you go boating.

JD I remember some of your first posts....

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, Sorry. Had a very bad day and was mad at the world. No excuse. Again, sorry about that post.

shrew

Lieutenant

Yeah, Sorry. Had a very bad day and was mad at the world. No excuse. Again, sorry about that post.

There is no reason to apologize. That was a perfectly acceptable answer. Just like ALL forums, you're going to get opinions whether you like them or not, and you don't always get the answer you want to hear. (Like this one). I prefer to teach a man to fish, rather than just giving him one every day. IMHO there was nothing wrong with that post.

southkogs

Staff member

Hey hey southkogs us yankees do some good duct tape repairs to lol. :)

LOL - I'm a transplant (from Detroit). I love the south, but they've got duct tape down to a fine art. I'm waiting to see them try building an office building out of the stuff.

Bravo JD.