Too low RPMs hurt?

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice
I've heard that too high RPMs can hurt a motor and understand that you may be reving it to an early death running it WOT. But does it cause any problems by not being able to reach the rated max RPMs at WOT? Or any problems not going to WOT but cruising 2/3 throttle?<br /><br />Thanks, Ron

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Too low RPMs hurt?

Code 1<br /><br />If your engine cannot reach the manufacturers specified RPM for WOT you will harm it. By being improperly propped you are overloading the engine.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

CODE-1, post this in the engine section along with type ob, hp etc. for more answers.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Cruising at reduced throttle, however, will not harm your engine any.

MartyTn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a question I've wondered about also, so let me ask it since it's the same question with one more variable -- I changed from a power prop to a cruise prop on my 17' SeaRay with '89 Merc 100HP. I love the prop's performance, it's got good hole shot power and good cruising speed. To get full recommended WOT however, it needs to be trimmed exactly right. Now, when I'm just cruising - usually around 3500rpm or so, I get it trimmed well, but probably not exactly. The motor feels great, but could I possibly be lugging it and hurting it at this lower speed if it's not trimmed exactly ??<br />Many Thanks, Marty...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As Spinner-bait-nut pointed out, this is an engine question. The Forum title says, "not engine questions".<br /><br />Because I have no idea what sort of engine Code-1 has, I will just move it to I/O and Inboards.<br /><br />Good luck, Code-1, but give us some info to go on, please. :)