Too good to be true

jjc917

Cadet
Well after a few weeks of looking, and with your guys help I think I found my first boat;

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/1287246095.html

I called him its a 1994, said he had it out a few eeks ago and has come down in price to $2500. This seems kinda low for a Chap. So Im worried I might miss something when I check it out...Any advice would be appreciated? The adage, if it seems to good to be true it probably is...lol

Im hoping we can take it out for a test run, but Im not sure that will be possible, should I walk away if no water test?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Too good to be true

I would do a very through check of the motor and the boat.

Ask about receipts for maintenance history

How it has been stored

bring along someone that knows boats!

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

make sure its not a scam people try and scam ppl all day long on craigslist

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the seller can't produce the title for the boat and trailer, you are leaving yourself open to lots of time consuming registration issues. And for gosh sakes at least hear the engine run and make sure there are no liens against the rig.

If the seller can't produce the title for the boat and trailer, you are leaving yourself open to lots of time consuming registration issues. And for gosh sakes at least hear the engine run and make sure there are no liens against the rig.

Realize that not all states have titles for boats. We only have to produce a notarized bill of sale and the previous owners registration to obtain a new registration.

I agree that at the very least you should take along someone who knows boats inside and out. As someone else mentioned, find out how the boat has been stored - outside with a cover at a mininum. (If that's how he says it's been stored don't just take his word for it, he should be able to produce the cover that's been on the boat if it exists.) One of the things to check for is a solid transom. Push and pull as hard as you can on the leg of the outboard, there should be absolutely zero movement of the transom. Then take the blunt end of a screwdriver and tap firmly all over the transom. It should sound solid with very little change in the sound from one area to another. (I'm completing a transom repair, lots of work). Also check for any soft spots in the deck - they're a sure indication of larger problems. A test run would definitely be a plus, I'd try to feel the seller out as to why it's not possible and see if he might be trying to hide something.

jjc917

Cadet

Yeah thanks for the advice...I called the number he gave to set up appointment and the message was in Korean or something...WTF

I guess it was a little to good to be true. Hasnt called me back either, guess its back to the search

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

People need to listen to their instincts more. Judging by the fact that you posed the question, you had a little doubt. Now, you have more doubt. If someone does call you back, you could go look at it (you never know), but go with the attitude of, "I don't want this, I'm not interested." Have your mind set on that, and then see if there is something that brings you back around. That attitude also helps with negotiations. At least, it helps me.

It could be a little rough on the inside. The pic looks nice, but it's just a low res. pic on Craigslist. If it is a little rough, the price might be in the right ballpark??? It's a '94. It's an outboard (no offense, please). If it's a little rough? I would think a little on the low side, but not SO low that I think immediate scam.

Normally, the scammers put a 20'+ go fast for $5500 or something ridiculous.

ridefst

Seaman Apprentice

The ad doesn't look that bad to me; none of the usual red flags (out of town, super cheap for a nice boat, etc). It's a low price, but there is also a lot that can't be seen in that photo. As previously mentioned, perhaps the interior is shot, hard to tell if the trailer is any good, etc.

I think it could be a good deal, check the usual stuff (floor/stringers/electrical connections for evidence of being sunk, etc).

I did buy my current boat without a sea test, ran out of the water only, but it was also an exceptionally clean, older (1984) boat, so it had obviously been well cared for a significant part of those years. Would definitly take it out on the water if at all possible, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I Agree with what EVERY one is saying here, The guy probably bought the boat and is now having problems with it and "A" is either too lazy,"B" knows something is not right and doesn't want to dish out the cash to fix it,and "C" doesn't want to mess with at all, Thats what it sounds like to me, If you do talk to him, Like they said, Try to get him to take you out on it and if he doesn't want to, well thats your clue to where something might be wrong with the engine. I would check it out anyway, It could just be some thing minor like over heating issues and he doesn't have a clue about boats and thinks its a major problem that would take lots of money to fix, But we know better, It's worth looking into at least, My 2cents. I'de at least check it out, you might get yourself a kick A boat, and maybe youde be the one who makes out like the bandit because he doesn't know!!

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I was looking for a pontoon, I found a listing locally on Craigslist from a guy with a mortgage payment due and he was selling it quick, first come, first served. It was EXACTLY what I wanted and cheap. I e-mailed him and told him I could meet that night, money in hand. He e-mailed back and said it was listed on E-Bay and sent me a link, saying I could just buy it through there. Well, fortunately, I have a lot of experience with E-Bay, and though everything looked legitimate, I noticed the web address was not quite right. Did some checking, and the whole damned thing was a hoax. It wanted you to pay half and then the other half when the boat was delivered, but truth was, there was no boat to deliver.

It's amazing that there are scum bags out there willing to take people's hard earned money like that, but they exist (obviously). Didn't get me, but I'm guessing he did get someone. Later that night, the ad had been pulled - I'm guessing by him so it would be harder to track him down.

If it seems to good to be true, it normally is.

Dwight

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

By producing a title, I also mean registration if that's what your state calls it. In your own words you said you need a bill of sale and previous owners registration. There you go. I he can't produce it, how do you know the boat and/or trailer are not stolen. You might be surprised at the number of folks who buy boats, cars, trucks or any other vehicle that requires registration but they just don't bother doing the transfers. If this has happened once, twice or even more on that boat, you might never be able to track down the original owner.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah thanks for the advice...I called the number he gave to set up appointment and the message was in Korean or something...WTF

I guess it was a little to good to be true. Hasnt called me back either, guess its back to the search

I did a little investigation and I got an e-mail back for the individual, he gave me his cell phone number and name. Checked the name and got a land line phone number and address in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
I see that he has dropped the price to $1,500.00 from the original asking price of $3,000.00. He indicated that the trailer was in good condition
I would say that this is on the up and up.
I DON'T HAVE A DIME INVESTED IN THIS, but if you want the contact information PM me and I will give you the contact info.

flycaster

flycaster

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

When I was looking for a pontoon, I found a listing locally on Craigslist from a guy with a mortgage payment due and he was selling it quick, first come, first served. It was EXACTLY what I wanted and cheap. I e-mailed him and told him I could meet that night, money in hand. He e-mailed back and said it was listed on E-Bay and sent me a link, saying I could just buy it through there. Well, fortunately, I have a lot of experience with E-Bay, and though everything looked legitimate, I noticed the web address was not quite right. Did some checking, and the whole damned thing was a hoax. It wanted you to pay half and then the other half when the boat was delivered, but truth was, there was no boat to deliver.

It's amazing that there are scum bags out there willing to take people's hard earned money like that, but they exist (obviously). Didn't get me, but I'm guessing he did get someone. Later that night, the ad had been pulled - I'm guessing by him so it would be harder to track him down.

If it seems to good to be true, it normally is.

Dwight

Ditto for me on a nice 18' Lund for ~$3,500. Didn't get fooled but I did post about it elsewhere and got a response from someone who did. And of lot of the ads get pulled when people see the same ad on several pages and report it. These guys aren't even on this continent so they have no fear of reprisals.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I DON'T HAVE A DIME INVESTED IN THIS, but if you want the contact information PM me and I will give you the contact info.

Let us know how this turns out!! I am curious to see how this turn out!!

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

$1500 err $3000 during the height of boat season up here and a good looking and great brand boat, umm yea FAKE.

jjc917

Cadet

So now I get a call and they say it can be viewed but there is hydraulic fluid leaking, from the OB. Also said they had it out running in NY.

They gave me an address. I thought about looking, if I do I might bring my 85lb German Shepard just in case they think they are going to roll me for my cash....sometimes I wished I lived in Texas...where you can carry.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

So now I get a call and they say it can be viewed but there is hydraulic fluid leaking, from the OB. Also said they had it out running in NY.

They gave me an address. I thought about looking, if I do I might bring my 85lb German Shepard just in case they think they are going to roll me for my cash....sometimes I wished I lived in Texas...where you can carry.

Don't you have a leash for that Shepard??:D