Tohatsu M18C 350A sn 23582 wondering

redneck egbert

Recruit
I recently purchased this motor and absolutely no regrets. It replaced an evinrude 18 fastwin (1968) that is having a thump problem. My question is, coming off of the coil there is an extra un-used wire. I am wondering if anyone knows if this could be a charge line for my battery, or is there a way to dump a little juice back into my battery while running.

Also if any of you have an idea about the year on this thing, I called Tohatsu usa and the guy said his records didnt go back that far, but it was one of or the first line of 18's brought over. Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu M18C 350A sn 23582 wondering

Tohatsu changed distributors several times and the records are not dependable on anything pre-1993. Snap an image of the cover and I can probbaly pin it down a little further. As to a wire from the coil....All wires are utilized in order for the engine to run. Snap an image of that too.

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tohatsu M18C 350A sn 23582 wondering

When Tohatsu first came to the US (in the 80's) their motors were blue, with a silver(?) cowling w/ blue & orange decals (if I remember right). In 1992 they changed the color to a gray color and then in 2006 they changed it to the current dark, dark, dark blue (looks black). So if you have the blue motor, it's pre-1992.

And as the guru said, they changed distributors a few times and their records are incomplete. The current distributor, Tohatsu America Corp, is owned by Tohatsu and their records from 1996 forward are complete. So if they don't have a record of your motor it is pre-1996.

Maybe between the color changes and the distributor dates, you can narrow it down a bit.