Tohatsu 9.8 electric start

J_Grove

Cadet
hello I have a 2003 Tohatsu two stroke (M9.8B). A few years ago I posted on here about a rusty steering shaft. I ultimately decided that replacement wasn't a repair I wanted to take on so kept on using it. I probably got lucky because it was just almost completely disintigrated before I decided something had to be done. I found a shade tree mechanic, a retired guy, who did what seems like a good job (love seeing that solid rust free shaft in there!) for a great price. Only one catch. My electric start no longer works. Looking at the parts list, I'm not sure if it's P type or F type, if that matters, but it's got the push button on the unit, not remote.

Pull start was the only thing the mechanic tested after repair (he also changed the plugs) and it pull started fine for me too. When I press the electric start button, you can hear a clicking like the solenoid (?) is trying to do something, but no engine turning. I removed the engine off many times before, so this wasn't my first time disconnecting and connecting the battery cables, so don't think I screwed up the connections. Maybe there is a wire that came lose during the repairs?

Unfortunately this guy lives a couple hours away from me (his daughter lives close by) so taking it back to him is not a preferred option. I've got average level mechanical skills so would like to figure this out on my own. Any suggestions?

pvanv

Admiral
F type is tiller P type is remote. Perhaps the starter wire is disconnected or the starter motor has an issue.

J_Grove

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions. I got it going again. I cleaned a few connections with corrosion and/or rust with a file. Not sure which one it was but the connection where the solenoid mounts on the engine block was rusty. The battery cable connects to the other side of that, which was also rusty. I think that might have been the problem.

J_Grove

Cadet
Good work !! Now find out what dripped on and might still drip on them again.
I think it's just being a 20 year old engine that's stored at a marina about a hundred yards from sea water. A long time for humid salty south florida air to do it's thing.