Tips for removing intake manifold V6 4.3

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello my friends
I think I have leak at the front of the intake manifold from the silicon bead, i need to replace the gaskets.
Any tips when removing the intake mani?
Engine @ TDC? how to set it?
Any tips when removing ignition coil?

Thanks !!

Scott06

Admiral
Hello my friends
I think I have leak at the front of the intake manifold from the silicon bead, i need to replace the gaskets.
Any tips when removing the intake mani?
Engine @ TDC? how to set it?
Any tips when removing ignition coil?

Thanks !!
To get to tdc on number one remove spark plugs you can turn by hand. Make sure it is on compression stroke not exhaust stroke , you can put your finger over plug hole will build pressure on compression stroke…also can remove valve cover and make sure both valves are closed…

also can just mark distributor to intake and rotor to distributor… either way you need to set timing with light once running.
distributor gear will rotate the gear when coming up which turns oil pump drive shaft as well so you need to turn oil pump driveshaft back so whn distributor is reinstalled it is in right place… prob some you tube videos showing it…

this is a new engine correct? You may want to verify it isnt oil coming off valve covers or was spilled when filling. I thought i had a oil leak at rear of valve cover or intake, was just spillage when filling… to many beers 🍺 i guess

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its used engine, I have got new valve cover gaskets and still was leaking oil into the bilge it looks like from front of the engine.
Can You please tell me how to be sure if #1 is in TDC? thanks

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
TDC compression stroke on #1 cylinder , as above . remove plugs , un plug distributor power wire > put finger over where #1 plug is ( furthest cylinder forward) > get helper to click motor over till compression comes up > look at front balancer and aligns the TDC mark > remove distributor cap and paint mark where rotor is pointed on the distributor housing .(will be #1 spark plug lead position on cap so just follow down and mark will line up , if not you got something wrong)

lift distributor slowly till the oil pump drive releases > mark the dizzy housing where rotor points to aid reassembly

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Its used engine, I have got new valve cover gaskets and still was leaking oil into the bilge it looks like from front of the engine.
Can You please tell me how to be sure if #1 is in TDC? thanks
look at post #2 directly above.

additionally, no need to make sure its at TDC at #1 if you know how to stab a distributor.