timing base and power pack question

wormboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've seen a couple of similar threads, and another member and i have had exactly the same experience with the same engine-- E150STLECEM. The problem was sporadic misfiring/no spark at random cylinders, leading to a difficult start and sluggish going intially-- and then no problems once warm and going. The fix was replacing both power pack and timer base/trigger-- replacing power pack alone didn't work and for the fix (on my engine at least) a second power pack and a timer base was required to fix.
The question from a couple of us is this-- can a bad timer base CAUSE problems with-- or even ruin-- a power pack? Is it therefore essential to check the timer base before replacing a power pack??
I don't know enough about these ignition systems to hazard a guess..........

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: timing base and power pack question

I have never seen any literature stating that a bad timer base could damage a power pack . If you were checking your ignition system following instructions in a manual you would normally check the timer base before checking the power pack since the power pack can not operate correctly if the timer base is messed up.