timing 650 merc

lodown

Cadet
What kind of ohm meter is needed to check the timing for when the point open. I have a fluke and i cant seem to find when the points open, my meter keeps toning at me and doesn't stop. I can see the read out go from 1 to 2 on the display but thats it. How far should the magneto move from idle to wot? Any ideas would be appreciated greatly. The max advance screw was loose when i got this and i cant get it to go over 2500 rpm at wot. I have a book and dial indicator but just cant see the points open on my meter.

Laddies

Banned
Re: timing 650 merc

We still use our Merc-a-tronic meter but your fluke should wort we use one on snowmobiles, get it of capsitance so it stop buzzing that will drive you nuts and try the auto ranging to get a reading

lodown

Cadet

What ohm scale should i be using because i cant seem to get this to work?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You want to use RX1 scale. Make sure the connection to the points does not go thru the coil, or you may get a false reading, since the other side of the coil may be grounded.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whenever I am looking for a null indication I grab an analog meter but in that instance a powered troubleshooting probe with a lightbulb indicator would work just fine.Ron G