Tiller AND stick steer?

Rick-Mi

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry if this is a dumb question to someone very familiar with these, but can you add stick steering to a tiller motor so that you can use either? There might be some real merit to being able to go back and forth depending on the situation.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tiller AND stick steer?

You would need a motor that has tiller controls, and is set up for remote controls. I have seen motors where they can be set up for one or the other, but don't recall seeing any set up for both at the same time.<br /><br />Also, if you had a No Feedback Stick steering system, you wouldn't be able to move the motor with the tiller.

Rick-Mi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Tiller AND stick steer?

Roscoe: >>You would need a motor that has tiller controls, and is set up for remote controls. I have seen motors where they can be set up for one or the other, but don't recall seeing any set up for both at the same time.<br /><br />Also, if you had a No Feedback Stick steering system, you wouldn't be able to move the motor with the tiller.<<<br /><br />Thanks for the reply roscoe. Yes, my late model 9.9 Honda tiller is easily set up for both. A remote bracket is a bolt on item and other remote control items are simply plug in. <br /><br />Good point about the no feedback stick. Obviously, it needs to move freely when using the tiller. The good news is there isn't enough torque steer to worry about with a motor this small.<br /><br />The biggest question mark at this point seems to be throttle control. I could just lock the twist grip and move to the front for stick steer only on long runs. But, that obviously has it's own glaring drawbacks. I'm quite sure with no tension on the twist grip that a remote throttle would work fine. But, would the remote bind the tiller twist grip throttle? <br /><br />Seems like someone would have toyed with this before.....