Throttle "home" position

cbourbeau32

Seaman
I picked up my new to me 1966 Evinrude 18hp motor. Anyway the steering bracket was cracked (I knew that going in) and when you turn the throttle handle it lets the cog over rotate and so I know it's out of sync with the home position (for lack of a better term). I''m calling it the home position when the screw is at home against the stop on the motor housing. Hopefully I'm describing this correctly. Anyway I can fix the crack in the steering bracket but need to know what position on the twist throttle handle should be in when the screw is up against the stop on the housing.

I've attached two pictures.

Thanks, Charlie HPIM1231.JPGHPIM1232.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle "home" position

Seems they used this same setup on their other OB's as well. I have a '76 40HP Johnson and even though it is electric start and such it still has the same toothed gears for the actual throttle positions. I set mine up (after rebuilding it) so that both gears start at the same place. Then they work their way to the opposite side equally. And by setting it up that way, the position matches up with the "Slow", "Start" and "Fast" labels are correctly aligned as well. So set both gears at their starting tooth. You should be okay then...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Fix the crack and then follow GM's instructions.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you lift up on the tiller arm, it will be obvious how to mesh the gears there. There will be a slot and matching large tooth to line up.