Throttle adjustment

Mike Simjack

Cadet
I just replaced my 2002 5.7 Volvo Penta engine in my boat with a (Kodiak) GM 6.0 fuel injected engine. I need to re set the idle and clear a code and was told by KEM, (who I purchased the engine from) that the idle is controlled through the computer. I will need to purchase a Diacom program and instal into lap top computer to do so. Is there any other option?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know much about these motors, but does appear to have digital throttle control, is this correct?

Is this a brand new motor or new to you?

How low is the idle?

Mike Simjack

Cadet
Yes the engine is a new 6.0 Kodiak engine with electronic throttle control. It seems it is around 700+ at idle. It clunks when shifting into gear at idle. And in gear boat is going too fast.

alldodge

Staff member
Wish I had some idea of how to help. In most cases a scanner would not be able to change it, and even something like MEFI burn could change it. Have you checked for a vacuum leak?

Mike Simjack

Cadet
After a little more research, The EMC program is by Diacom. It seems I would need to buy the program and install into a computer then connect to the engine order to change the idle and clear the codes.This really seems like a stupid way to change the simple idle....

alldodge

Staff member
Diacom is scanner software, its doesn't have the ability to change ECM parameters except during testing and even that is limited. Member @tpenfield has it and can provide more input

tpenfield

Staff member
Not sure you can change the idle setting using Diacom. There is OBDDiagnostics (or something like that) which allows for re-programming the ECM.

700 RPM does seem a bit high, but it is best to make sure the engine is actually settling in at 700, the TPS value is at 0%, and the other parameters are in their appropriate range for idling.