temperature gauge installation

yzmotox

Cadet
I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find directions on installing a temperature gauge on my 99' 120hp Force. I do have a manual but its not that specific it covers 84-99.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: temperature gauge installation

Do you have a temperature sender on your engine? It should be somewhere on the head.If so, look for an orange wire in your harness. That should be the wire to attach an overheat device(gauge, horn ,light) to your dash.

VenoMystic96

Cadet

So does the wire that goes to the warning horn also connect to the temperature gauge?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No.
Overheat temp sensor is just an on/off switch that turns on the warning buzzer.

You need a variable temp sending unit on the motor that will send the signal to the temp gauge.

VenoMystic96

Cadet

I see, So how or where do I install that? I am newb here, I appreciate anything you can tell me. Cause I dunno why my buzzer keeps going off at slow speeds.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You need a sending unit like Teleflex Marine Engine Water Temperature Sending Unit 3/8" - TEL52320S009 about $15.

It requires a 3/8 threaded fitting on the engine. I don't know if your motor has that fitting or not.
I would rather doubt it.

That would be why most Force owners have gone to using a water pressure gauge instead.

If you get a water pressure gauge kit, it simply connects to the small fitting on top of the motor, just in front of the thermostat cover. It will give you real time info about your cooling waterflow pressure, without waiting for the engine to overheat.

Perhaps your present overheat sensor is faulty.
You can remove it and test it in a pan of hot water.

Also, you can go to an auto supply store and get a "temp stick". Like a crayon, which will melt at a specified temp.
The come in different temps.
You can use these to see how hot your engine is getting.

VenoMystic96

Cadet

I think the water pressure gauge would be better choice for me to keep an eye on things. I saw a diagram of the force 125 outboard of 1985 somejwre. Does anybody have that diagram that shows a break down of teh engine parts so I can see where you mount it on this fitting on top of the motor? I apprecaite all the help!

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if you find any info let me know Mystic, i have a 89 force 125 that i want to add a water pressure guage to but don't know where to mount it. Thanks! i also want to add a Tach. i dont know why mine came without one but came with a mph guage Tach is more important.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

I just put the Water Pressure gauge on mine, for some reason its not working, but it is mounted.

The plug is located at the very top of the head of the Force 125 Engine. It has a flat head on it, or at lteast the one that was on my 88 engine did. I took a Flat head screw driver and removed it. It is at the very top between the Flywheel and the Thermostat. About a 1/4" plug, I think.

I was not able to hook the power up to my gauge yet, I ran all the other wires, but though the power was only for the Light, which I still think it is. I may have a kink or something, just got short on time. I mounted it and ran the Hose, but was not really able to test it and all that, but on the lake it didn't read anything.

I will be looking at it sometime this week, if it gets cooler, its to hot to be out messing with that thing.

Later,
Bryan

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Here is a picture.
#78 is the plug.

16.png

FuzzyOne

Recruit

I just installed a water pressure gauge on my Force 40 yesterday. I did not hook up any power wires and the gauge functions fine. I've only run the engine in a water drum, but noticed at idle it has a zero reading and increases to around 6-8lbs. as rpm's increase.

I read on this forum where some have just installed the nipple at the top of the engine and ran a hose through their cover to see the steady water stream. As I was installing the gauge I tried this and the stream looked like my Johnson OB with a nice steady flow. The water got very hot coming out.

Anyone know how I could test my buzzer to make sure its working? I'm fairly new to this boat and don't even know if it has a buzzer. I do see the orange wire though.

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

to test your buzzer you can heat up some water in a bowl in the microwave then take your buzzer out and put it in this water it should sound if its working correctly.

mfo

Cadet

sorry don't mean to hilack this thread, but how do i hook up both a water pressure and a piece of hose for a tell tale .Wouldn't they both use the little nipple that comes out of the t/stat housing?

1989 50hp

mark

VenoMystic96

Cadet

How did you get the plug with the flat head out? I couldnt get it out for the life of me and the plug is starting to strip, am I better off just drilling threw it?

Bry21317 said:
I just put the Water Pressure gauge on mine, for some reason its not working, but it is mounted.

The plug is located at the very top of the head of the Force 125 Engine. It has a flat head on it, or at lteast the one that was on my 88 engine did. I took a Flat head screw driver and removed it. It is at the very top between the Flywheel and the Thermostat. About a 1/4" plug, I think.

I was not able to hook the power up to my gauge yet, I ran all the other wires, but though the power was only for the Light, which I still think it is. I may have a kink or something, just got short on time. I mounted it and ran the Hose, but was not really able to test it and all that, but on the lake it didn't read anything.

I will be looking at it sometime this week, if it gets cooler, its to hot to be out messing with that thing.

Later,
Bryan