substitute for OMC Adhesive "M"

huntandhook

Seaman
I'm in the process of reassembling the gearcase on my '79 40hp and the manual calls for OMC Adhesive M for sealing the gearcase halves and spaghetti seal. My local marine parts store doesn't carry adhesive M, so I am looking for a good substitute to use instead. I have never see the stuff before so I don't know what it is like. Any suggestions on a substitue would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br />P

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: substitute for OMC Adhesive "M"

3M super weather strip adhisive will work.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Marprox Sealer 1000 or Boat Armor Sealer 1000, available at any automotive parts type store is the identical substance. Possibly also available at Wal*Mart, K-Mart, etc.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Sealer 1000 or Adhesive M is 3M #847 sealant that can be purchased thru any Johnson Evinrude dealer or an auto supply store that carries 3M products.

walleyehed

Admiral

Seahorse, our automotive suppliers tell us the 847 is available only to marine buisnesses(they, as an auto supply, cannot buy the 847 from 3M)...we sell 3M, and they won't/can't sell 847 through the auto end...One of our marine suppliers is where I finally got ahold of it, and a JohnRude dealer seems to be the best place if ya got one near..

walleyehed

Admiral

Thanks...<br />I'll give'em a call and see if they will sell to us.