Sting Ray™ Hydrofoil Stabilizer

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I understand this may take porposing out the travel of the boat.

My sterndrive serial number is 0D861896 and there are no holes obviously for this part.

I am wondering if this takes away from the drives stability since the factory doesn't have the setup for this.

The mounting doesn't look very difficult, drill 4 holes and put the scews and nylon nuts on.

Are there any pros and cons to this that anyone has experienced? The boat takes a minute to get to plane, this part was recommended to me.

http://www.iboats.com/products/engine_rigging/39123_Sting_Ray_Hydrofoil_Stabilizer.html

Thank You.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sting Ray™ Hydrofoil Stabilizer

Your proposing may be from your trim setting and/or boat loading. The hydrofoil will get your boat on plane faster. Problem is, the foil looks like s**t, reminds me of the fifty fuzzy balls hanging from the windshield of the tow vehicle, south of the Manson/Nixion line.

tommays

Admiral

I have a doel fin and it helps some problems BUT causes others :)

Real trimtabs of sometype are a much better pick

Tommays

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So far so good, I can handle the looks like s**t if it helps.

The porposing is mostly coming in and out of the inlet, either up and over, or over and under. i haven't had a real calm day to try it when its calm.

If it will jump the boat up on plane faster, I'm gearing towards it then. I just took it off another boat. I'm going to wait and see if any more comments come in before I start drilling holes in the drive.

Cost wise, I already have this and trimtabs can get high in $$$ from what I understand.

Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those things have also caused their share of broken cavitaion plates on the lower unit.

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the Sting Ray on my 1979 imperial 18 footer runabout. I have the pre-alpha outdrive on my boat. I like the fact that you can cruise at slower speeds without comming off plane and you do get on plane faster. The only negative is that the hydrofoil sprays water all over the back of the boat. Since my top is stored back there, I have to dry the top out every time I use the boat or I will be fighting meldew. Not really a big deal for me, but just something I wanted to point out. Also watch out for those sharp edges on that hydrofoil while you are swimming around the outdrive. I cut my calf on it and ended up taking a file and rounded off those outer edges for saftey. The installation was easy, I believe I had to unbolt the trim cylinders to make it easier to drill though. I believe you will hear pros and cons from everyboby, but this is what this site is about. Hope this helps.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Search on smart tabs, and you will find a ton of info. While some people are happy with foils, a number of people are not. It is hard to find people that are not satisfied with smart tabs. Smart Tabs will run you $200 or less.

I used a stingray jr on a 40hp/14' alum boat, and removed after one season. I had issues with steering and drag on plane. That boat now has smart tabs, that have been on for more than one season, and will be staying on. I also have smart tabs on my I/O which definitatly fixed porposing. All around handling is greatly improved on both boats.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm 100% with mkast and DonS, with an honorable mention to tommays. Move some weight forward first and then add trim tabs if you are still porpoising. Trim Tabs are the right way to handle this . . .

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you everyone. I imagine since I took this one off another boat, and that boats cavitation plate had welds in it, the stingray is going back on that other boat.

I'm not into causing more problems by fixing problems. I'll reserch the spart tabs and see what I can do with that. I believe the cavitation plate is welded for a reason, the reason Don S. brought forward.

Thanks. and your right, its what the forum is about , trials and errors and with a ton of different results and opinions to chose from.

A quick note for the swimming part, I'm not one to go into the water. I have first hand knowledge of what comes out of it where I take my boat.

I had a 4 to 5 foot blacktip on Saturday right where people were tubing, they stopped and watched. Then they went back to tubing within 100 yards.

Not me.............

Bondo

Staff member

I guess I'm alittle Late here,.......

I'd say the Cure for your Issues has Already been the mentioned above,..........

The Fin on the drive would be a Band-aid to mask the Issue,.......
And,.......
I believe that a set of Smart Tabs would Probably be the Cure................d:)

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone order from iboats.com before?

they have the new Smart Tabs @ 200.00

and blemished at 139.00 or something.

Anyone every pulled a blemished part from them and still be happy?

I'm sure I'm going to blemish it some myself sooner or later :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I put blems on a friend's brand new Chaparral. I'm not sure how they could have been much prettier . . . Someone else had the same experience; go with the blems.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I got the Blems...looked fine. I also tried the Stingray first to try and solve my porpoising problem.It ended up causing the boat to list and the steering to pull left..
Took it off and Installed Smart Tabs. No more problems.The boat handles great and stays on plane at much lower speeds.best money i ever spent!

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was out tonight and tried the cheapest route, mkasts :)

I'm a good reader and listener, it's helped in life. I'm also new to this boaters world, and I'm out to learn because I live within a mile of the boat ramp which leads about 4 miles to the inlet.

mkast said to watch trim settings. i did this to a "t" or different than I have been starting out.

this boat planed out in about 3 seconds in the main channel of the incoastal. it may have been quicker, it stood up, then sat down. i was totally impressed.

since i dont have much traveling outside with or against the tide, im going to still install the smart tabs. i'll save some money on them from ya'lls advice also.

without starting another thread, maybe someone will catch this............

at normal speeds the boats runs straight as an arrow, and an idle, i have to play the steering wheel back and forth. is this a setting from the anode that can correct this that i may have read somewhere before?

thanks

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The adjustment to the anode tab would be done if you have a pull to one side or the other while at speed. It is normal to have the back and forth motion at idle. The smart tabs might help this a bit at idle.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The Smart Tabs greatly helped my low speed wander.
My boat had that problem real bad,most I/O do wander alot at idle speed.The tabs helped so much i can let go of the steering and still track straight.I was impressed.

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How involved is the instalation of the smart tabs Gary H.? I have been thinking about buying a set for my 21' bowrider.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I have a Stingray and have installed and removed it on my I/O on occasion. I always come to the same conclusion. Yes it will plane the boat faster and at lower speeds, but it will also slow down the boat a few mph and cause the boat to list to one side a bit. And YES, it's a freaken ugly add on and band-aid. So, I don't use it.

My concern with tabs is that it might be in the way with swimmers coming up on the ladder on my boat.

Daddy O

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use a Stingray on my boat and like it because of planing at slower speeds. It helps when towing smaller kids, you can go about 17 mph or so and keep plane.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Daddy said:
I use a Stingray on my boat and like it because of planing at slower speeds. It helps when towing smaller kids, you can go about 17 mph or so and keep plane.

Same with ANY trim tabs, and none of the negatives . . .