Stereo Install??

byeager10

Cadet
I just installed a stereo in my older boat I have everything wired but the new stereo will not power on.I have the red wire going to my battery and my ground is grounded were does the memory wire have to go to.Does this effect the stereo power I have a outboard so I dont want to wire to my ign switch in my shifter

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stereo Install??

yeah, the memory wire will have to go to a "hot" connection. By not wiring your main power to an ignition on only you will drain the battery though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ahhh - the memory wire must be hot all the time or it becomes useless as a memory wire. That wire provides the voltage required to remember what stations the buttons are set for. Its the main power lead that should be connected to a switched 12V line -- that is unless you want to listen to the radio with the key in the OFF position. In tht case, connect both the main power and memory wires directly to a 12V source. Are you sure you have the speakers wired correctly? Is there a fuse in the 12V line and is it good?.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

In most stereos I've seen, the memory wire not being hooked up won't keep the thing from actually working. Are you sure about the ground? Do any lights come on at all? That fuse is probably pretty small amperage. Almost any kind of spark during installation will blow it.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

The memory wire and the 12v switched must both have power before the unit will power on. Does the unit have a removable face plate? If so then when you finish using it remove the face plate as that will effectively power it down so you won't drain your battery (except for the very small amount the memory line uses) Just went through this as we didn't want to wire the 12v switched line into the ignition, didn't want to have the key on to listen to the stereo, so we wired both to an always hot lead. Battery was dead within a week, now we remove the faceplate and no more battery problems.