Starting to worry a bit... '92 60 hp 'rude

Dave Brick

Seaman
Every time I see a thread about my motor, or a similar motor (mine is a '92 60 hp ELENE, but other threads about 60-70 hp late '80's-early '90s are getting more frequent), A recurrent theme comes up.

Overheated #2 cylinder. Apparently at least 3 service bulletins about this.

I bought mine completely rebuilt (by a very reputable shop). I have the tan/blue wire, going to what I believe is a temp sensor. But I think my tell-tale hose is at the factory position, at the port side of the head, instead of the re-route to the top of the head. So I think I have perhaps part of the service bulletins dealt with, but not all of them. Should I ask the shop to complete the re-build in accordance with all the service bulletins?

The shop removed the VRO, and I use pre-mix.

So, I wonder. How important is it to have the tell-tale re-routed? I assume that re-routing it gives a better idea regarding the power of the water pump, but perhaps not.

BTW, the engine runs perfectly, outside of some warm weather startup difficulties. It seems to flood easily, and I could only start it the other day by NOT engaging the choke.

Last edited:

BonairII

Commander
Re: Starting to worry a bit... '92 60 hp 'rude

If it floods easily, you prob need to replace your needle/seat and adjust your float.

I'm not sure, but I think rerouting your telltale hose has something to do with air getting trapped in the hose.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get your tell-tale hose re-routed to the top of the block. If you have the bulletins on it they should tell you how to do it. Putting the hose to the top of the block helps to get any aireated water out of the block for better cooling.

Dave Brick

Seaman

Thanks. I dont actually have the bulletins. I have seen threads in which they are discussed, but the actual SB's seem hard to come by. If youo have them, I'd appreciate seeing them.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

The service bulletin is here:
http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs/troubleshootingguide?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Fcolor%2Flayout.xml&backgroundColor=000000&showFlipBtn=true
Page 117

The bulletin talks about the #1 cylinder and the regulator being prone to overheat.
I'm a little bit afraid about drilling into my engine. What about chips falling into the cooling system? The NTP size taps and fittings are hard to get in Germany.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Does not have to be NTP size. Use what you have that will fit the tattle tale hose. Chips not a problem. The OEM water pump kit use to have this info, with a change in the impeller. Engine should be propped to turn 6000 rpms. You can pm me.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. I have mine apart, so now's the time to do the change.

Dave Brick

Seaman

Thanks, clanton.

The guy who did the re-build (as I said, a locally well-trusted guy), pretty much told me, "just trust me, let me choose the prop for this." And the engine's performance has been excellent. I have no doubt it is propped correctly.

retiredfornow, I don't mind you jumping the thread at all. I have certainly read yours with great interest. Thanks.

Last edited: