Starting after long storage

mayt444

Cadet
Hi folks. This is my first post to this forum so please bear with me. A friend of mine just gave me a 1980 7.5 horse Evinrude outboard to use on my cataraft. The motor was completely rebuilt in the late 90's and then broke in, but has been in storage and hasn't been used since. Are there any special preperations or precautions I should take before attempting to start and run it?
Thanks for your help.
Clay

mayt444

Cadet
Re: Starting after long storage

Thanks Ken
Some good ideas there. I think the water pump was rebuilt during the rebuild as the motor had been overheated, thus the need for a rebuild.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The fact the motor has been idle for all these years, the water pump impeller has become hard and could easily break during the first run. It is a cheap part against another rebuild.

krogie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

awaking a sleeping outboard is a great article, this helped me on my last fire up on a motor set up for 4 years . the water pump on my motor was replaced right before it was set up for that 4 yr. period , and when i recieved the motor i inspected the impeller and it was rotten and th fins snapped off when iwas playing with it.