Starter Problems

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if this post goes here, but being new and able to listen to people in the know, this article here for starter trouble was perfect.

http://www.iboats.com/bbboard/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=24;gtid=1104170

When someone says to do tests before swapping parts he's trying to save you time effort and money. Now, I'm a firm believer, and a HUGE HUGE THANK YOU goes out to those that recommend this.

They obviously know what they're doing.

My problem was the solenoid, my big problem was I would of changed the ignition switch, neutral switch, solenoid and starter and not necessarily in that order.

Instead I found the post above, did the checks as stated and when power or ground didn't get by the slave solenoid, I found my problem.

So in 30 minutes and less than 20 bucks later, the boat starts fine, shuts off then starts again, and probably a day of jumping around ended quick.

Thanks to all of you, especially the guy who loves to say, do checks before swapping out parts.

Thanks.

BuzzM

Seaman
Re: Starter Problems

I printed a copy of that article and it stays aboard my boat. I spent many hours agonizing over my starter before I slowed down & followed the steps. It pointed me to a $ 25 dollar ignition switch and problem solved, even though I added a slave solenoid to my parts box.
I think it was Don S who provided this solution.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter Problems

I also have this printed it and it's in plastic on the boat. Yes, it was Don S. A $22 part and yeaterday and today were much less worry free on the water.

A buddy hooked a 40 pond Goliath Grouper off the end of Ponce INlet Jetty. Add that to one keeper Redfish and 3 that had to go back, the boat did very well today.

Thanks Don.