Start eng. in gear??

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Start eng. in gear??

Shouldn't be. They all have neutral safety switches.

tombstone

Cadet

Let me rephrase. I would like to start the eng. in gear. Would that hurt a Alpha 1 drive? I don't even know if it is possible.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Besides the obvious safety issues, you simply have to bypass the switch. I am curious though . . . why?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

it wouldn't hurt but why would you want to?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Let me rephrase. I would like to start the eng. in gear. Would that hurt a Alpha 1 drive? I don't even know if it is possible.

You would have to override the neutral safety switch, located in the throttle housing. When it is working properly, you will not have power to the starter circuit...unless you are in neutral.

You can get throttle range...and start...if you push in the 'throttle only button'.

This is a safety feature...why do you need to start in gear?

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You also risk doing damage to the gears. I wouldn't recommend it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Whachoo talkin' 'bout Willis? ^^^^^^^

tombstone

Cadet

New cam has a lope to it and difficult idling at 650-700rpm. Disregard the safety factor. All I was asking, is it possible to do w/ Alpha i drive.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Disregard the safety factor.
Okay, but we are still curious. Please tell us cuz even a monster Margarita Machine would be OK with Neutral . . .

tombstone

Cadet

Okay, but we are still curious. Please tell us cuz even a monster Margarita Machine would be OK with Neutral . . .

Nothing wrong with neutral and I don't have a monster M&M. Just a healthy 383sbc.
Idling at 900rpm and the Alpha does not take kindly slammed in gear from neutral. I have a foot throttle and would start in N to warm eng. shut off and put gear in F and restart eng.To stop woul pull gear shift from F to N and shut off. My shift interrupter is operable to allow that. Question is, would I hurt the drive doing this?

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK. My only comment is that she will be a biotch in the Marina and I suspect you have a cam that's going to suck water in . . . :eek: Also, be aware that Alpha's don't like over 300 bhp. I am sure all of this is stuff you already know and what you wanted to avoid, but again we were curious. You are going to have to make sure your ESA still works or you'll never get her out of gear either, let alone in. Good luck!!

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Several people I know do it for exactly that reason. For "overpowered" boats especially I've been told it is really important not to shift into gear at any higher rpm than necessary. Shifting at higher rpm provides a greater risk of chipping a gear toloth... which can then lead to catastrophic failure under heavy throttle.

The problem with this is obviously that you don't have reverse, etc, etc, etc... and that you either launch from a very uncrowded ramp or dock, etc...

I would think this is really only marginally convenient / reasonable option for an extended period of time on a boat you never use for what most would consider typical pleasure boating (as in running hard offshore where an engine build more like a circle track car rather than a typical marine engine might be the ticket).

Finally, unless trying to wring every last pony out of an engine, modern cam profiles don't have to give up nearly as much power to give a reasonable idle as did those available even 10 or 15 years ago.

Shrub88

Seaman Apprentice

Nothing wrong with neutral and I don't have a monster M&M. Just a healthy 383sbc.
Idling at 900rpm and the Alpha does not take kindly slammed in gear from neutral. I have a foot throttle and would start in N to warm eng. shut off and put gear in F and restart eng.To stop woul pull gear shift from F to N and shut off. My shift interrupter is operable to allow that. Question is, would I hurt the drive doing this?
Any way to rig the shift interrupter on a momentary switch to allow you to put it in gear?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Any way to rig the shift interrupter on a momentary switch to allow you to put it in gear?

Of course it can be done, just buy a switch some good crimpers and a little wire.

QC brought up the most important issue. Just what kind of cam are you running in this thing? What is the LSA?

It would certainly suck to go through all of this, just to get a first hand lesson in reversion.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

the last point is a really good one... the same overlap that causes a rough idle is responsible for reversion issues. What are you running for exhaust? To be safe you may have to choose between dry pipes (relatively expensive and can be VERY loud) and changing the cam.

(i run a relatively healthy 383 in front of an alpha drive)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, and I am not usually one that frets too much about the drive either, but healthy 383s are stronger than stock big blocks. If you're responsible with the right hand, should be good to go, except extended runs at WOT . . . Yes, 900 RPM minimum idle speed sounded like "Danger Will Robinson" :eek: again.

tombstone

Cadet

Thanks for the response. Judging from answers it can be done.:)