stalling after reverse

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice
When coming in to dock, if I need to reverse thrust to slow down, after returning the throttle to neutral the engine will stall. I've replaced the fuel pump. Anyone have any ideas? It's a Johnson 1990 HP VRO 200hp--runs fune anywhere else from 700 to 5300rpm.
Thanks

guywithboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: stalling after reverse

Just a stab in the dark here, but ...is the 700 rpm enough when shifting to reverse? HAve you tried to look it up in the manuel?

Hope this helps...

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 175 with the same problem. It runs fine on the way out, but stalls on occasion on the way in. I found that
1-With my morse engine control when I select forward, I can then advance the timing quite a bit with the throttle. The engine is synced and linked and the idle is very low. If I tried raising the idle it made shifting very hard. Using this method I simply select forward and then raise the timing a bit-no stalling and easy shifting.
2-With the morse control you can't advance the timing in reverse. I selects reverse at an idle and that is it. Sometimes the motor gets a little lopey and stalls.
3-My local OMC dealer says there is nothing I can do with the controls-no throttle in reverse is the norm.
4-I checked all those little check valves on the manifold with the alcohol-syringe method and a couple failed. I think that is going to be the root of my stalling, but I'm going to wait for the season to be over before I repair them
Stu

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

Stumedic said:
I have a 175 with the same problem. It runs fine on the way out, but stalls on occasion on the way in. I found that
1-With my morse engine control when I select forward, I can then advance the timing quite a bit with the throttle. The engine is synced and linked and the idle is very low. If I tried raising the idle it made shifting very hard. Using this method I simply select forward and then raise the timing a bit-no stalling and easy shifting.
2-With the morse control you can't advance the timing in reverse. I selects reverse at an idle and that is it. Sometimes the motor gets a little lopey and stalls.
3-My local OMC dealer says there is nothing I can do with the controls-no throttle in reverse is the norm.
4-I checked all those little check valves on the manifold with the alcohol-syringe method and a couple failed. I think that is going to be the root of my stalling, but I'm going to wait for the season to be over before I repair them
Stu

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

guywithboat said:
Just a stab in the dark here, but ...is the 700 rpm enough when shifting to reverse? HAve you tried to look it up in the manuel?

Hope this helps...
I can shift into reverse ok--and gun it ok to quick stop, but as soon as I return to neutral it dies.

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

Stumedic said:
Stu
It is when I return the throttle to neutral after revving in reverse to slow that it dies. I can't adjust timing with my controls.