Sport jet 120 in Sugarsand spark with black yellow wire pulled

chromed

Cadet
Im still searching threads and working on finding my ohm meter. I did however see to pull the black and yellow wire post and my boat started when I did that. (OOPS OUT OF WATER) So now what? Ive jumped the kill tether both ways nothing,checked power and ground everywhere. Im leaning towards rev limiter??? Help.

HOT IN Washington.

dmball

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Sport jet 120 in Sugarsand spark with black yellow wire pulled

Sounds like rev limiter to me. I just went through this testing not long ago. You can isolate the rev limiter first by disconnecting the wire from the limit box. Next you would disconect the same black/yellow it from the switch box to isolate kill switch circuit and boat wiring.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a test to isolate this problem to switch box , rev limiter , ignition switch , kill switch or main harness wiring , It has been a while since I have seen this I need to look up the tests and will post the procedure . I am quite sure you are going to need a DVA adapter for your ohm meter to run the switchbox kill circuit test .

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OOPS , got ahead of myself , Disconnect rev limiter at rev limiter , if spark returns the rev limiter is bad , if no spark then reconnect the rev limiter , disconnect from switchbox and check for spark. (be sure the black/yellow wire does not touch anything while disconnected this will enable the kill circuit and no spark will result )

chromed

Cadet

OK so when diconnectin the rev limiter do you mean all wires and then check for spark or just the black yellow from limiter? I was thinking on my own OOPS again. But I used my test light backwards with clamp on poss and tested for ground on the kill wire Black yellow. its well grounded with key off but key on is dim soo Im getting somekind of backfeed or ground still telling it to not start,well I unhooked Blk?Y wire from rev limiter and test light goes out. So thats what got me thinking REV?L??? Looking forward to test procedures to isolate. Thanks in advance guys.

chromed

Cadet

Also if it is the Rev limiter . I looked up the numbers off of mine and it ended with A24 and he others on line to buy are all ending in diff numbers are theses just upadated versions or specific as in top rpm?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Forget the test light !!! the kill wire runs from the ignition to kill switch then to engine harness , it then splices into 2 black/yellow wires , one to the rev limiter , main wire to the switchbox , by disconnecting ONLY the black/yellow at the rev limiter you have isolated the rev limiter , by disconnecting ONLY the black /yellow at the switchbox you have isolated the full circuit . As I said before , unhook just the rev limiter black/yellow and check for spark if you have spark the rev limiter is bad . If you post your engine serial number I will look up the most current part number for you .

chromed

Cadet

KEND you rock! Ill post numbers when I get home from work,and hopefully I can play soon.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do not need the engine number , the part number is 821889a18 that upgrades to an 821889a24
The CDI aftermarket part number is 144-1889-52

Both should be available at the iboats parts store .

chromed

Cadet

OK pulled B/Y from Rev Limiter got spark and once again it started. Im so worried about blowing it up now. Water flush kit very soon. So now I order it and done right.? So will it work if I wanted to go run it today and play? Its so nice! Will it just keep revin up or can I be very careful and just not floor it? Thanx I love this site Im spreading the word!:D

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do not worry about the rev limiter being disconnected causing a problem , BUT .. Keep a "good ear" on engine RPM's and just kinda take it easy on the throttle until your part arrives .

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, if you started it out of the water, check your ride plate. I learned the hard way that disconnecting the Rev Limiter and cranking out of water can blow your ride plate off. Make sure it is nice and flush with the bottom of your boat and intake grate. If you headed out to the water and it just wouldn't get on plane, that's probably the issue.

Brian
www.calledinsick.com

lshelly11

Recruit

Could someone please tell me if I post my serial number about my stator? Im a newbee and have been reading though if someone could help Id be all so greatful.
Thank you in advance

hawkf250

Seaman

Ashley, you are asking a question in a thread that has not had any replies since July, If you need help with your motor, please start a new thread If you make a new post I will be happy to try to help, please be sure to decribe the problem completely and include the year, H.P. and make of your motor along with any serial/model numbers that you can find.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Like he said , open a new post and you will get the help you need