Splicing two wires into one wire

Realgun

Commander
I need to set up a single switch to run Nav/Anchor lights.<br />I have a double pole double throw switch already.<br />I need to make 2 wires go to 1 wire.<br /><br />I want the anchor light on in either position and the nav on in 1.<br /><br />The nav goes to 1 circuit but I need the anchor to be on in 2 positions. There is no jumper for this so how can I use 2 of the 1/4 blades connectors to 1 wire?<br /><br />Basically from the switch there are two blades that I need to connect to. I only need 1 wire to the bulb. And the end of the wire to both poles. According to USCG how is this done?

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Splicing two wires into one wire

Just in-case you are asking if you can crimp two wires into one connector....yes. The other method is to use a "piggyback" tab or dissconnect connector that has a male and female on one connector, so you can "daisey chain" the wires. Your last paragraph has me scratching my head ??<br />This is how I would hook up this circuit: If we were looking at the back of the switch, lets say that we had a left and a right column of three "tabs". The wire going to the anchor light would be connected to the center tab of the right column. The wire going to the Nav lights would be on the center tab of the left column. The top tab from both columns would be tied to +12V, the bottom tab from the right column would also be tied to +12V, the bottom tab from the left column would not have any connection to it at all. If you had a larger boat with your anchor light split into two circuits (forward facing and rear facing) that would be different wiring.

Clamboni

Cadet

Just use a butt connector and crimp the two wires from the switch in one end and the one wire from the bulb in the other.

Realgun

Commander

The switch has two male blades tht I need to connect together and only need 1 wire out to the bulb.<br /><br />Does that help?<br /><br />Is putting two wires in one side of butt joint ok?

Realgun

Commander

iBoats to the rescue!<br /><br />I can connect both terminals to 1 wire then from that I get 1 more connection to the bulb.<br /><br />I was looking at the blade terminals here to hook up the switches for all the other equipment.

Clamboni

Cadet

lol I haven't been told by a pro that two wires in the butt joint is ok, but I put two into terminals all the time. do you really want to spend 5 bucks with shiping for one terminal?? I know it's not a lot of money, but for what you're getting it is. It's also a lot of extra surface to corrode.

18rabbit

Captain

You do not need to merge two wires. You need to 'progam' the switch with a couple jumpers.<br /><br />Presuming you have a on-off-on toggle switch…<br />P=pole T=throw<br /><br />[P1/T1] [P2/T1]<br />[input1] [input2]<br />[P1/T2] [P2/T2]<br /><br />Input1 is [+12vdc]<br />P1/T1 goes to the nav lights and to a jumper to Input2.<br />P2/T1 goes to the anchor light and to a jumper to P1/T2.<br />P2/T2 is not used.<br /><br />When you toggle to the first throw position, all the lights come on, both nav and anchor.<br />When you toggle to the second throw position, only the anchor light comes on.

Realgun

Commander

What jumpers? I know about those from my Computer but the switch she no have them. :) <br /><br />It a Carlinton rocker switch with Lights and Nav/Anchor printed on it.<br /><br />Maybe I should use my voltmeter so see if it already setup.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mechanically and electrically speaking, YES you can insert two wires into one end of a butt connector, either as a merge into one wire out th eother end or simply as a capped connection. <br />As for the USCG, I don't know. You could always try a "Y" connector, available from any good electrical connector supplier. The "Y" connector is essentially three ring terminals joined together with a rivet through the rings.<br />Such an item can be found at Y connector

walleyehed

Admiral

You guys are making this WAY too tough....18rabbit explained it perfectly...read into it a bit farther... :)

18rabbit

Captain

It works the same for toggles, rocker, rotary, whatever switches.<br /><br />EDIT: Oops! I made the 12vdc yellow...it should be red. :( <br /><br />
s_wiring.jpg

Realgun

Commander

18 I figured it out but I have the 1/4 spades on the switches not screws. So I ned the 2 into 1's.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Or you could read my post and wire it that way.....you are making this too difficult.

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> 18 I figured it out but I have the 1/4 spades on the switches not screws. So I ned the 2 into 1's.
Like WaterOne1 said, use a common herm@phrodite connector, called a ‘piggy-back’ 1/4-inch blade push-on connector. You only need two of them to program that switch.<br /><br />
piggy_back.jpg

Realgun

Commander

Thats what I wanted!! Wher to get them at Radio Shack?

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

napa should have them

18rabbit

Captain

If Napa doesn't have marine grade parts, and if you are ok with pain and suffering, you can try the search engine in the MegaMall. I tried to look for you but I don’t have the patients for it. Ancor sells them in pkgs of 3 pieces you should be able to get anywhere Ancor connectors are sold, iboat’s MegaMall, West Marine, etc. Call ahead and ask for Ancor part # 230612. They have un-insulated barrels so you’ll need a little piece of adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.

Realgun

Commander

18 I got 3 connectors from Napa @ $1.52.<br />Just in case.<br />The switch is wired like this<br />[1,2] left is + ,right is - for LED<br />[3,4] Out to Nav, out to anchor<br />[5,6] +in , +in<br />[7,8] not used, linked to anchor<br />[9,10] left is + ,right is - for LED<br /><br />All I need to do is plug 4 into 8 and use 1 doubled connector either end. Correct?

18rabbit

Captain

I presume [1, 2] and [9, 10] are only for the switch’s pilot lights and nothing to do with your nav/anchor lights.<br /><br />Yes, you got it. Except you took the short cut of applying [+] to both middle terminals. Continuity-wise it will work. The difference is that whenever you switch on your anchor light you have 12vdc sitting at the unused [7] terminal. The way I showed you to do it the unused terminal does not have voltage on it at anytime. Hey, it’s just a picky design-engineering thing. Yours will work, too.<br /><br />Just bring the 12vdc into terminal [5] with one of those special connectors you bought and jump it to terminal [6]. You can use a regular push-on terminal for [6]. Same thing for the anchor light, use a piggyback terminal at [4] then a regular terminal at [8].<br /><br />The more I look at your layout, the more I want to paint a huge glob of liquid electrician tape on that unused, hot [7] terminal. There’s something about leaving access to 12vdc out and exposed whenever your anchor light is illuminated that doesn’t work for me.<br /><br />Edit: Almost forgot...if you are wiring a toggle switch, remember that it is a lever. Flipping the switch handle up contacts with the terminals that are at the bottom on the back. Visa-versa for when you flip the handle down, it contacts with the terminals on top of the switch back.

Realgun

Commander

Edit: Almost forgot...if you are wiring a toggle switch, remember that it is a lever. Flipping the switch handle up contacts with the terminals that are at the bottom on the back. Visa-versa for when you flip the handle down, it contacts with the terminals on top of the switch back.
18 I know about that It kinda was wierding me out when I was testing for continuity. :)