Speaker instalation. Is it safe?

Bayliner1952

Seaman
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and hope I am posting this to the proper area.
I have a 1995 Bayliner Capri Cuddy 1952. 3.0 Alpha 1

There are pedistals (sp?) that the back to back front seats sit up on. I was thinking of installing 2 10" subwoofers in. They appear to be sealed fiberglass boxes possibly needing some more reinforcement, but perfect seaker boxes.

My question is that if I cut a hole in these boxes if it would make the boat unsafe due to the fact that there may be some sort of USCG requirement for floatation. (when swamped)

The attached photo was stolen from petermarcus' amazing resto thread. I hope this was ok. I would have taken my own, but the boat is all tucked in for winter. :)

Thanks so much for the help,

"Curtious music listener"

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Speaker instalation. Is it safe?

I highly doubt the pedestals are intended for flotation. Go ahead and cut to your heart's delight.

Be careful to avoid putting the speakers in any location where you might drip water on them; electricity and water don't mix well. I often have wet people sitting in the seats on my boat.

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Awesome thanks for the quick reply.
the speakers are flat faced with a foam surround. The wires will be running out the port/starbord side of the box (sealed with gasket sealer) and along the gunwales to the amp that is in the cuddy just behind the steering wheel.
Well, thats the plan haha.

shrew

Lieutenant

I highly doubt the pedestals are intended for flotation. Go ahead and cut to your heart's delight.

Be careful to avoid putting the speakers in any location where you might drip water on them; electricity and water don't mix well. I often have wet people sitting in the seats on my boat.

Speaker wire is very low voltage. I don't see how you're going to get electrocuted by it. Certainly make sure you buy marine grade speakers. They ARE different. Many people simply use regular auotmotive speakers, however the parts on automotive speakers will rust over time. The PO of my boat replaced the speakers with standard auotmotive speakers at some point and when I replaced them they were a ball of rust, dripping rust stains down the fiberglass in the cockpit. Marine speakers are more money, but the speaker itself is waterproof and the parts and fasteners are either SS or aluminum.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Another thing to think about with where your mounting your speakers is that people sit there, and in a boat people sit there after they get out of the water so If I were you I would put some form of moisture barrier between the seat and the area where the speakers will be mounted, even marine grade speakers dislike being wet all the time and since these are subs they will be used accordingly, something to think about to help your speakers last longer.

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Id disagree with the marine speaker statement.
I put Rockford Fosgates in my boat about 5 years ago. (4 of them)
They have polypropylene cones and surrounds.
They are exposed to all elements and sound just as good now as they did when i put them in.
The are BOOMING loud!!
Trial by fire I guess but its a fact and Im sure they get wet.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've completely submerged my speakers before. I have a jet boat and ocassionally 'hit the brakes' while driving, when ends up with the passengers sitting in waist deep water. (and also means idling for 15 minutes while 3 bilge pumps + engine pump go to work)

Anyway, there are 4 marine speakers (poly cones with rubber surrounds) that are underwater during this time. They all survived, and still sound good enough by my standards. (I competed in car audio sound quality competitions for quite a few years, I know what sounds good and what doesn't!)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

(I know what sounds good and what doesn't!)..........

How can you say that when by your own statement half the time they are underwater!!!!:D

Just messing with you I love hot boats!!

shrew

Lieutenant

Id disagree with the marine speaker statement.
I put Rockford Fosgates in my boat about 5 years ago. (4 of them)
They have polypropylene cones and surrounds.
They are exposed to all elements and sound just as good now as they did when i put them in.
The are BOOMING loud!!
Trial by fire I guess but its a fact and Im sure they get wet.

It very well may be that since you're in Pittsburg, you're probably boating in freshwater. I'm in salt water, which could certainly account for the differences you've experienced. Maybe your speakers are automotive and built with non-corrosive parts.

I had an old 9v transistor radio that I used to canoe camp with years ago. It has been to the bottom of several rivers. Dry it out and it would play just fine. It did eventually die over time though.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that marine speakers aren't built differently and NOT worth the money. They are far more waterproof then most non marine speakers.

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Thanks for the input all.
I have an old set of clarion's with a JBL amp, this set really boomed in my car and i have since taken them out.
I will take all of your comments into concideration. thanks LippCJ7
It is hard for me to put the speakers in a diffrent space because this area seems to be unused space anyway. I'm all about utilizing space.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Man I am totally with you on the space thing, under those seats seems the perfect place, centralized in the boat, dead space otherwise, heck yea put some thump in there! I put my amps under the helm after making very sure that area would not get wet in the rain etc. open Space on any boat is hard to find. Make sure you post pics!!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Should work, but their both full of floatation foam... I did a resto-mod on the Bayliner in the link below my signature line. You can see where I placed my sub and amp... May give you some ideas...

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Bear, I have read your "resto" and I am truely impressed (resto in quotes because it looked great before you even started) . I love what you have done with it and it has given me some insite for other projects. If these boxes are enclosed with flotation foam, do you think it is unwise to remove this? It must be there for a reason. I like where you put your subs, but I tend to use that space alot.

Lipp, I'll post up some pics as soon as the frost thaws... :( the boat is in hibernation for now, but i am looking forward to doing some electronic upgrades in the spring, including a GPS/Sonar unit.

I am a first year boat owner and made it thru the first season with no problems. I now have the boating bug. The wheels are off the trailer and i'm doing bearings now. I love all the little projects associated with being a boat owner. I feel the trick is to not let these "little projects" add up to create a "big project"

Thanks again for all the help,
Nate

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

You have been through a summer so your no longer a rookie now your a veteran boater!! Kinda scary isn't it!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Bear, I have read your "resto" and I am truely impressed (resto in quotes because it looked great before you even started) . I love what you have done with it and it has given me some insite for other projects. If these boxes are enclosed with flotation foam, do you think it is unwise to remove this? It must be there for a reason. I like where you put your subs, but I tend to use that space alot.

Thanks again for all the help,
Nate

Hi Nate,

Thanks man...

I think if you cut out enough foam to fit the speaker it will be fine. Make sure to get a sub that doesn't need to be ported.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

uh.......ok.......look guys

the b2b lounger bases are flotation.....but will it matter....no.

but will pedistal bases on those b2b bases look like carp and be totally in the way.....yes

if you want pedistal.....loose those things and glass in the deck properly,,,,(check the resto section)

then mount your subs in a more appropriate place where they cannot be tripped on, fallen over or stub your toe on.

......just looking at the final product

cheers
oops

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

when the speakers/subs are very low to the deck, it gets a lot harder to hear the music while underway.
with the wind and all.
try to get them as high as you can.

Bayliner1952

Seaman

oops,
I think I may have given you some incorrect information. I will be keeping the factory seats on the factory box, just cutting a hole in the box to fit the subs. they are flush mount so I will not be losing any space or creating any type of tripping hazard.
My main concern was losing these boyancy floats that the box may create.

Bear, The subs need to be in a fully sealed box. (i may need to cut out all the foam to get the airspace needed for quality sound)... :(

bear_69cuda

Commander

when the speakers/subs are very low to the deck, it gets a lot harder to hear the music while underway.
with the wind and all.
try to get them as high as you can.

Don't think this will matter for the sub, as most of the time it's pushing below 120 Hz. You can hear the bass fine at a low position, now full range speakers or tweeters are a different case, and the seat base would be a poor choice.

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Lipp,

Yea, I?m really happy I made it thru the first season. My GF is always giving me a hard time for being so "nervous" I tell her that I?m cautious not nervous.
It's amazing how people don't understand how much of a responsibility it is to captain a boat. A "simple" outing on the ocean can turn into a coast gaurd rescue if your not prepared. A friend of mine has a 175hp jet boat that a girl just broke her arm in 3 places tubing. I'm happy that i'm a little more "nervous" than that captain. Not to say that my boat is not fun, its just a little more safe.

What a great forum, thanks again for all the helpful comments.