Sole Replacement for Tinny - Plywood or Planking

Rustedbrit

Seaman
As with other Tin restoration projects, my '64 SC Jupiter needs new wood to include the sole aka floor. I've been playing with the idea of ditching plywood all-together and going with 1x4 cedar planking that runs from bow to stern with 3/8" gap between planks. I read a similar discussion here where this type of flooring was used on a fiber vessel and its integrity was later questioned due to the strength the plywood adds to that type of construction..... but what about aluminum. Would there be any perceived integrity issues?

What say the gurus?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Sole Replacement for Tinny - Plywood or Planking

I don't think there would be many integrity issues, but cedar is pretty soft. I'm sure it'll get dented and dinged on a boat deck.

The 3/8" gap between planks will fill your bilge with dirt and trash. I can see all kinds of fishing tackle going into the bilge if it were my boat.

MDO plywood will be your best decking and it's about half the price of marine plywood. MDO is made for exterior use, mainly in sign building but a lot of people are building boats (hulls, decks, and transoms) out of it too. Google MDO plywood and see if it's something you want to put in your boat.