Smart Tab Testimonial

pjrogers

Seaman Apprentice
Upon lurking for several years and seeing messages about Smart Tabs, I decided to put a pair on my 18' glass bowrider w/ a 4.3 LX engine. The boat's pre-tab problems were: porpoising and chine-walking at 3/4 to full throttle, and teeth shattering pounding in chop.<br /><br />The Smart Tabs eliminated porpoising. It still chine-walks a bit but only at full speed and we don't go that fast very often. Not being a speed-freak, I don't know or really care if top speed is +/- some few kph.<br /><br />The major huge benefit of the Tabs on our boat, though, is in smoothing the ride in chop. It's like having a different boat entirely. This is not something other owners have emphasized in earlier posts, so I thought it worth mentioning here. The effect on the boat is similar to using our equalizer hitch between our p/u and horse trailer. <br /><br />Kudos to Smart Tab - its a cheap product that actually does what they say it will do. <br /><br />Cheers,<br />pjr

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Smart Tab Testimonial

Thanks for the feed back!<br /><br />Increase the pressure a bit to get rid of the porpoising.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

My pair are on the way here. I'll report as soon as I get them on and test.<br /><br />Craig

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's exactly the problem I hope to correct.<br />I'll get them on this week.<br />Edited <br />They came from ebay today :)

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Chine walking? On a runabout with an I/O? Not likely. I'm not attacking you- just pointing out that while you may have a stability issue, I don't think it's actual chine walk. <br /><br /> The tabs should help that too though- my boat did it a bit at WOT and even though the tabs are up at that speed, they still press down on the water and act like shocks- it helps a lot. <br /><br /> Chine walk is normally experienced by "pad" boats (like a bass boat) or high-performance boats where there is very little of the hull touching the water at high speed. <br /><br />UFM82

txswinner

Banned

I just wish that ole John had a turd in his pocket and I had the patent on the Smart Tabs. They are amazing.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just installed them on my boat this morning and went out and tested them this afternoon.<br /><br />First thing I noticed was I actually had steering in reverse (Wich I really never did). Before, if at any point while backing up, the boat started to turn either direction, that was it, I wouldn't be able to recover, let alone turn the other way. I would just end up doing doghnuts until I went forward. Now I can turn one way, then straighten it back out and turn the other way. This ALONE was worth getting the tabs!!! <br /><br />Second. Prior to installing the tabs, I had a choice between 2000 rpm's while plowing, or 3200 rpm's on plane. there was nothing inbetween that I could maintain any given speed. At 3100 rpm's it would slowly start sinking back in the hole and slow the motor down to 2000, giving it just a little throttle and it would jump back on plane and take off. Now, I can hold it at almost any rpm and it will stay there. It starts to fall off plane at 2600 rpm's now, but it doesn't slow me down nearly as much as it used to. Now I can match speed with my friends boat. Used to either be slower or faster than his, never was able to keep pace with his WOT.<br /><br />I lightened the pressure about 1/2 from the middle as it was hard to trim the bow up at speed. Tomorrow I am going to take off the Dol-Fin's and see how it reacts.<br /><br />Thanks John. Great product!!!<br /><br />Craig<br /><br />P.S. As soon as I can, I'll post a short video link of mine from a dead stop to WOT and then back to idle

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Mercury;<br /><br />Never run a hydrofoil and Smart Tabs at the same time. Remove the hydrofoil and leave the tab adjustment in the middle until you test it again. The hydrofoil gives you more lift at higher speeds and helps drive the bow down.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

John:<br /><br />Here is a link to a picture of my boat with the tabs installed.<br /><br />
069279.JPG
<br /><br />Craig

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by UFM82:<br /> Chine walking? On a runabout with an I/O? Not likely.
I concure, I agree, whatever. Never seen Chinewalk on an I/O. :confused:

aanda6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am installing my tabs om the weekend. thanks John for helping me find someone in Australia. If these reports are 1/2 true I will be over the moon.

bubbakat

Captain

Andrew get your space suit on because these things will really work.<br />I put a set on about a year and a half ago and would most likely tear a mans arm off if he tried to take them off.

aanda6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bubbakat. Doing water pump, tnt, and tabs on Saturday then take it for a test. Might be middle of winter but I can't wait ti get on the water again.

pjrogers

Seaman Apprentice

Lurking again, and I see that our I/O boat cannot chine-walk. I must have used the wrong terminology - sorry 'bout that. The vice I tried to describe occurred at full throttle and a light load. The boat rocked from side to side, bouncing from port to starboard as if it were on a tetter-totter laid across the keel. What is that activity actually called, then?<br /><br />Anyway, the Smart Tabs fixed the problem, and others too.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by pjrogers:<br />[QBThe boat rocked from side to side, bouncing from port to starboard as if it were on a tetter-totter laid across the keel. What is that activity actually called, then?<br /><br />Anyway, the Smart Tabs fixed the problem, and others too. [/QB]
Well, not that it couldnt happen, and that is basically what chinewalk is. Its just normally a problem with Pad type performance boats at speeds in excess of 60+ MPH. It also happens quite quickly and can become so violent that it can throw stuff out of the boat and even cause a violent crash. As long as the problem is gone, thats what is important.