Silicon bronze vs Stainless steel

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice
On my restoration project I am replacing the transom....can I use SS screws to fasten to the plank ends where the bronze used to be? they will be hidden by filler and paint. it is a solid mohagonay transom attaching to a ply hull.<br />thanks.<br />Ralph

D

DJ

Re: Silicon bronze vs Stainless steel

Yes, you can.<br /><br />SS was not always generally available, at a reasonable cost.

BillP

Captain

bronze + bronze = ok<br />stainless + stainless = ok<br />bronze + stainless = electrolysis<br /><br />If the boat was built with bronze use bronze, etc.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

well the boat was built with bronze....I guess I will just change em out when I can

BillP

Captain

If it's a trailer boat and not kept in the water 100% of the time I doubt you will have an electrolyis problem anyway. Moisture is the conductor between the two in this case. But good boat building practice dictates not to mix materials.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Its going to be an occasional weekend trailered boat. Garage kept. If it sees 25 days in the water I will be very happy with my schedule. But it will be salt water. I think I may jusy change out the bottom half of the transom and use the bronze there. I have enough of the originals for this.<br /><br />What do ya think?

BillP

Captain

That sounds like a good plan and I wouldn't worry about it. Using only 25 days a year and keeping in a garage is like being in a museum. Electrolysis under those conditions would be a slow (measured in decades)process if it happed at all. If you keep the boat relatively dry and the different metals don't touch each other you are covered.<br /><br />But the burning question is what kind of wood boat is it? Have any pics?

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have read that SS needs to be exposed to air/water to be corrosion resistant. Epoxy manuals always seem to mention this if fasteners are encapsulated.<br />It doesn't sound like a problem for you, but I would keep the same screws anyway.